mtbr member

Should this matter?

This is the second time this has happened. The first time I did not bother with it but to happen again is a little bit annoying. So just just received my 2012 x7 front and rear derailleur. When I opened the box and look everything over I notice that they are both 2011 and not 2012. So I just want to know is it really worth caring about. I do plan on letting them know either way, but was there anything changed between the 2011 and 2012 that will make a huge difference?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should this matter?-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I couldn't see any real difference, but I'm probably not the best person for details like that.

Plays with tools
    It's X7, put it on and go ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That's the manufacturing date on the box and has nothing to do with the models year. They will always manufacture next years models the previous year. I would only care if there was a major upgrade rather than just cosmetics to be honest, which I am pretty sure there wasn't

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The old(er) X7 design had a composite/carbon outer cage. The newer one has an aluminum outer cage (as pictured above).

Other than that, there is no design difference. I'm staring at the old one now.

mtbr member
    Top is a 10 speed, bottom is a 9 speed...that is a bigger difference than 2011 or 2012
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    That's the manufacturing date on the box and has nothing to do with the models year. They will always manufacture next years models the previous year. I would only care if there was a major upgrade rather than just cosmetics to be honest, which I am pretty sure there wasn't
    I can understand that a few months before the new year but the date on the derailleur itself is May of 2011. That's what I was looking to find out. If there was nothing major then it is no big deal to me. Just the principal really.

The old(er) X7 design had a composite/carbon outer cage. The newer one has an aluminum outer cage (as pictured above).

Other than that, there is no design difference. I'm staring at the old one now.
    Thanks, I take it that the carbon outer cage is reserved for the x9 and x0 series only now?

Top is a 10 speed, bottom is a 9 speed...that is a bigger difference than 2011 or 2012
    Good to know although I'm starting to think I should have considered the 10 speed. Oh well I have this one and once I find where I put my chain I'll be installing it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iRide4fun View Post
    Thanks, I take it that the carbon outer cage is reserved for the x9 and x0 series only now?
    It wasn't a true carbon layup, just a bit of carbon weave placed into a composite carrier. Probably wound up being more expensive to produce than the aluminum cage.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    the only real diff I know of between 2012 and 2011 is I think they changed the cable routing thingy and made it lighter and stiffer... nothing you'll ever really notice thou... but if you ordered 2012, and paid current pricing I'd be making a stink as the 2011 stuff is usually about 1/3 off in price...

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    umm not 100% .. but I don't think so... .. are you talking about the boxed units?... where one is front and one is rear derailleur... and if you are talking about the two images of the rear.. they are both 9 speed from the looks, just one is mid cage and one is long...

I could be wrong..but don't all the 10 speed units say"10 speed" on them?
    Last edited by thomllama; 01-28-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/