Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Should I upgrade to Sram X.O?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  AZ-X 
#1 ·
I currently have shimano deore shifters with an XT rear de-railer. My boss just gave me his new X.O shifters, so I went to my bike shop to see if I could put them on my 2006 Rocky Mountain Switch 2.0. Apparently I need an X.O rear de-railer. Is it worth the upgrade? They quoted me $209 but said they would price match from websites. Also, they only had the medium rear de-railer, and said there was also a small, and a large? Which would you recommend for Free-riding? Thanks everyone.

#3 ·
I'm pretty sure you don't have to upgrade to an XO mech...any SRAM mech will work...obviously an XO will look the most bling.

I upgraded from an XTR to an XO and I love it...but thats because I paid U.S. prices with U.K. pounds which was about half the U.K. price of an XO (a year or so back)

I reckon even the X7/X9 would have been better than the XTR.
I just find SRAM a more positive shifting experience.

Whether you go long or short cage I think depends on the sizes of your rear cogs rear and to a lesser extent front too.
Hopefully someone (with more knowledge than I) will be along to elaborate on that.

#4 ·
I switched from XT/XTR (2 different bikes) over to SRAM X9/X0 and I like them. The SRAM X shifters will only work with the X series dr's. Start with the X7. I think that you can get them for $50-$60 If you like the feel, ride it until it needs replacing, then go for the X9 or the X0. (I honestly don't feel any difference bewteen the X9 and the X0 but the X0 is lighter weight).

#6 ·
Phi.Design said:
I currently have shimano deore shifters with an XT rear de-railer. My boss just gave me his new X.O shifters, so I went to my bike shop to see if I could put them on my 2006 Rocky Mountain Switch 2.0. Apparently I need an X.O rear de-railer. Is it worth the upgrade? They quoted me $209 but said they would price match from websites. Also, they only had the medium rear de-railer, and said there was also a small, and a large? Which would you recommend for Free-riding? Thanks everyone.
Nashbar has '05 long cage X.O for $169 apply a 20% off coupon only good for thurs-friday and the price is $136 plus shipping. For freeriding it's a pricey option, might be better to have an X.7 or 9 to sacrifice to the bike gods.

#8 ·
Phi.Design said:
Also, I have been thinking about Saint components as well. What would you recomend...saint, X.O or Shimano??
There's a big difference there. X.0 is a lightweight, relatively fragile racing group with plastic and carbon parts. Saint is a heavy duty and heavy group for abusive riding. They are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. What will you be doing with your bike.

#10 ·
Hecubus said:
You can get an X.7 or X.9 shifter which will work just as fine as the X.0 with those shifters. Or for the price of those shifters you can probably sell them and get LX or XT or shifters to match your derailleur and have some money left over.
...but still have shimano :nono: ;)

I'd say, take this fabulous opportunity to experience better shifting.

#11 ·
Phi.Design said:
Wow...gave you X.0 trigger shifters? Nice boss. Just get a mid size SRAM X.9 rear derailleur if you're going to go a 2 ring with bashguard up front. If you use three rings up front get a long cage, but again with your bike I doubt you'd use a big ring. You can't use a Shimano rear derailleur, however. No sense in getting a pretty (and expensive) X.0 mangled and destroyed since I have a feeling you are into the free riding scene or at least doing good sized drops and hucks because you own a RM Switch. You can use a shimano front derailleur too. I use 8 speed x.7 shifters with a x.9 rear derailleur and a XT front derailleur. Works like a charm on my 6" x 6" bike.

#12 ·
Phi.Design said:
SRAM will be upgrading their entire rear derailleur lineup for 2007 and the X.9 line will be upgraded to nearly the same as last years X.0. The current X.7 line will be upgraded to the exact same as the current X.9 derailleur. I would hang on to what you have until the 2007 stuff comes out. You might be able to pick up something that matches the 2005 X.0 quality and weight for less than half the price this fall or winter.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.