mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Should I swtich to X.9 or X.7 triggers...

The age old question many of you probably have contemplated. I've been scanning for hours on the reviews and threads. Overall when I read the reviews of the Sram stuff, most of the people were glad they made the swtich, and explained why.
    When I read the XTR or XT shifter reviews many people don't talk about sram or they say they are going to switch back to sram.. etc... This leads me to believe that SRAM is finally making a good shifter, because I hate gripshift.
    Now there are still plenty of people using Shimano shifters, more then Sram people. Im starting to think the tables are turning and its going to be pretty equal in the future. Im not bad mouthing Shimano, but they've had the same shifter design for like 6 years, and just the few past years went to the dual control that I don't like.

For the most part people said once you setup the Sram It didnt have to be set again. My shimano stuff always needs adjusting, and never shifts perfect. but its old stuff. Im seeing more positve things about the X.7, X.9, X.0 stuff then shimano's XT and XTR.

sram:
    Able to brake while shifting
    crisper shifts
    don't have to make adjustments all the time
    costs less
    ability to use sram or shimano depending on 1:1 or 2:1 components

My XT shifters on my bike are 5 years old and pretty sloppy and had it. Im running the XTR long cage which is only a few years old. Running the full avid brake setup too. So its pretty much time for me to get new shifters.

Sorry this is so long but i want to make the right decision here!

I'd like to see what you guys think before I make my decision, list of pro's and cons if you have used both, and what you think on the situation between shimano and sram. etc... I have not tried the sram trigger shifters, so I cant really compare myself.

thanks!!!
    Last edited by TMaster; 07-19-2006 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Also wanted to mention that I ride cross country and im always shifting.

bump and grind
    i've got x7 shifters together with an x7 RD and an XT FD. Glad to say I've had absolutely zero shifting problems after a year and a half and around 1000kms. Word of advice, though, don't get the SRAM X-gen FD. It has some issues. Maybe they fixed it already, I dont know. What I noticed about shimano XTR - it shifts smoother and quieter, but requires more tlc and adjustment. The x7 gives a real clack! thats both audible and tactile, to let you know you really shifted.

local trails rider
    I have SRAM shifters on my mountain bike just because they let me do all the shifting with my thumbs (otherwise Shimano parts because I was on a budget and could get a better price for a complete Shimano set).

My commuter/errand bike has some old Shimano LX trigger shifters (cost again) and they work fine too.

I consider it a matter of preference: do you want to shift with your thumbs or shumbs and index fingers.

mtbr member
    You do know that SRAM X.7 or X.9 will not be compatible with your XTR Rear Der. - correct? If you want to keep the XTR Rear, you would need SRAM Rocket or Attack shifters. (I've just been down the Shimano vs. SRAM road).
    I just purchased an X.9 Rear, X.7 Trigger Shifters, and a PG-970 cassetter for my Rockhopper. I'm upgrading from a base Deore Rear and Alivio (blech) shifter pods.

2015 Specialized Fat Boy
    - Ordered!
    2007 Stumpy FSR Pro Sold
    2014 Specialized Crux Pro
    SRAM 2x10 Force, CG-R Post

Freshly Fujified

No X series with XTR

The X.7 and X.9 shifters won't work with your XTR derailleur as they are a 1:1 ratio shifter and need to be used with X series or other 1:1 ratio derailleurs. If you want to squeeze a few more years out of the XTR derailleur, the buy the SRAM Rocket shifters, which are compatible with Shimano's 2:1 ratio. If you want to go with a complete 1:1 ratio set up, then you're probably looking at X.9 shifters and X.9 or X.0 deraillerus if you want XTR level derailleur.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes, If i go with Sram I plan on selling my XTR rear. Its all or nothing baby! I still will keep my XT front Derailleur. I figure its better to have the X shifters with the X derailleur, then to have the rocket or attack with shimano derailleur.

mtbr member
    Go with Sram X-9! Smooth, crisp shifts not much maintenaince. Be careful with the cable housing mines got yanked somehow resulting in the loss of both of the shifters!!! sucks 120$ repair job!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    x.9 is the way to go. I absolutely love them and once u get used to them you will be so happy you have switched. I will admit you have to keep your drivetrain maintained if you want them to work perfect all the time, but honestly I love x.9, I have the x.9 triggers and deraileur. GET THEM YOU WILL BE SORRY IF YOU CHOOSE OTHERWISE!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I heard the X.7 and the X.9 are the same feel and quality, the only thing is the X.9 has stainless steel hardware and a alloy lever. Are the internals the same? I thought I read somewhere that someone replaced their bushings with bearings in these.

I wish they made the X.7 in silver.

Well i havent see anyone praise XT or XTR yet and give there thoughts....

Freshly Fujified

X.7 vs XT

Now that you've addressed that you know you'll have to go all X series if you switch, I'll give my thoughts on comparison. I have used Deore, LX and XT shifters and derailleurs as well as X.7. The thing I find as being different is the feel of the paddles and shifting on the X.7 as compared to the triggers, paddles and shifting on the Shimano shifters and derailleurs. The X.7 feel more ergonomically correct, and they feel sturdier to me. While I have never broken a shifter, I just feel like the Shimano are not as sturdy. Perhaps the Shimano has a more refined feel to it, it's hard to describe, but it just doesn't feel as beefy as the SRAM. I've had issues dialing both SRAM and Shimano gear in, so it's even from my prespective relative to ease of installation and maintenance. Bottom line, for performance overall, I'll take the SRAM X.7 or X.9 series over the Shimano XT. I can not speak for X.0 or XTR. That said, I'm doing a budget hardtail build using Deore shifters and derailleurs. It's half the price of the X.7, and after all it IS a budget build. Next serious build will definitely be X.9.

I hope this makes sense.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery