Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Should I shorten my chain?

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bikinfoolferlife 
#1 ·
I'm considering shortening the chain on my MKIII Expert. The main question I have is wether it is possible to safely shorten the chain to a point where it cannot shift to the big ring/big ring combo. The big ring to big ring combo causes the chain to rub the frame, so it really is useless. Shortening the chain should allow the derailer (spelled like that on purpose) to sit better in the more used gears right? Would their be a potential for damage (like the drivetrain jaming, etc.) with the chain like that?
Also, I'm considering just removing the big ring, because I don't remember ever using one on a trail ride. My last bike was also used on road but this one will be strictly for trail use.

One other thing, when pedaling backwards the chain drops down, something is restricting it from moving quickly enough to keep up with the rest of the chain. Any idea why that might be? The chain does seem to be sticky to the touch (chain lube?) could that be it? is chain lube supposed to be sticky?

Pictures:

chain hitting frame in the big/big combo.

chain too long?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
No. You have just learned about cross chaining. Cross chaining occurs when the gears are used that place the chain on the inside sprocket (1) in the front and the outside sprocket (8/9) in the back or conversely on the outside (3) in front and the inside (1) in back. This puts the chain at an extreme angle which causes excessive chain and sprocket wear and also causes less than the smoothest shifting. While these 2 extreme angle gears are legitimate gears of your 24/27 (or however many) and certainly may be used, there are other gears among the 24/27 that duplicate or come close to duplicating these gears. Recommendation: Stay away from the 1-9 and the 3-1 combinations of gears. Find a gear that works without your drivetrain hitting the frame....jdcamb

#5 ·
Chain length should be determined by wrapping the chain around the big ring and largest on the cassette while bypassing the derailleur, and then adding two more (an inch) of links. I think you should probably drop the big ring or go with a smaller cassette cluster. Or both.

#7 ·
You either deliberately run the chain long enough to handle your mistakes in shifting (for big/big) or you don't. You should have better shifting theoretically with a shorter chain, but if you shift big/big by accident you do have a problem. Your choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.