Jason

Should I reposition my derailleur?

My set up was 3x8. I found myself only using my mid range and low gears. So, I took the high (44T) chainring off and ground all the teeth off so that it's smooth before reinstalling it. I'm going to use it for a cheapo bashguard for now. So... should I lower my front derailleur to compansate for the changes I've made? Here's a link to a photo of what I did.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...0/DSC05488.jpg
    Jason

mtbr member
    You shouldn't (or shouldn't have to) lower the derailleur. This is because you have not changed the positions of the rings, it's just that now, one ring is not going to be in use. In other words, if your derailleur was in a good position before, it would still be in a good position now.

~Disc~Golf~
    you might be able to lower it a tad, but it may not make that much difference. Plus if you go too far you run into interference from the other rings on the cage.
    The derailleur cage moves up to compensate for progressively larger rings, so moving it might cause you more probs than it's worth if it works fine now.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

the giant.
    if it shifts fine now, dont change the cable settings. just set the limit screw so you dont accidentally go into the 3rd ring setting and lose the chain..

but that setup actually looks pretty slick. i like the rounded chainring. if im ever out of a bashguard somehow ill remember that. thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    strong work with the grinder!

what others said. I would NOT lower it. it would likely bump the ground chain ring before it shifted all the way

Jason
    Thanks everyone. I already adjusted the limiting screws so that it won't shift into high gear.

gbosbiker, I took it out on two rides so far since I ground the teeth off. It works great and I have no complaints. I took the chainring and cleaned up the rough edges with a wire wheel after grinding.
    Jason