mtbr member

Should I go long ? (175mm)

I have my La Bruja that I purchased second hand and it has 170mm xt cranks. I am thinking it might climb better with 175's.

Currently I have the vanilla 100mm forks and I measure 13 inches from the bottom bracket to the ground unloaded. I am sort of thinking go to 130/140 front and that would offset and clearance issues from the longer cranks.

Has anyone swapped the short ones for the longer ones- If so can you comment on how it felt. Good? Bad?

Thanks,
    Steve

Ultimated Outsider
    Crank length depends on you size. I use 180 cranks and I am 6' 1". I tried shorted 177.5 cranks and they did not feel right to me. If you are average size 175 might work better for you.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Ok I did not see 180 mm cranks on the ones I peeked at at PP.com I just read my old cranks and see they are 175 and that (wicked fat chance) is 12" to the BB. so I should feel right at home w 175's

Thanks, Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smittylube
    I have my La Bruja that I purchased second hand and it has 170mm xt cranks. I am thinking it might climb better with 175's.

Currently I have the vanilla 100mm forks and I measure 13 inches from the bottom bracket to the ground unloaded. I am sort of thinking go to 130/140 front and that would offset and clearance issues from the longer cranks.

Has anyone swapped the short ones for the longer ones- If so can you comment on how it felt. Good? Bad?

Thanks,
    Steve
    I've only ever riden 175's that I know. But doing the math, its only like a 2.5% difference in leverage. Its not gonna make you "climb better"- or if it does, you can likely get the same effect with a new cassette / chainring setup.
    Ergonomic studies shoe that eople with long legs do get more power out of longer cranks, but the change from 170 to 175 is, again, not enough to matter.
    The main difference between 170 and 175 mm cranks is, with the longer cranks, you can set your seat 5mm lower, and with the shorter ones you have 5mm less overlap (toe to front wheel). Its only when you compare 180 (and longer) to 160 (and shorter) that you get differences in power. Persoanlly I'd LOVE to have 190mm or 200mm cranks, but I'd need a frame with a very high BB. Lenz cycles markets such things, but not in my budget.

mtbr member
    Have a look at what the late great Sheldon Brown had to say about crank length (you can google it). It is something to think about. I find 170 cranks help me spin a bit faster on the road bike (which is good because I have been known to mash)