Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shorter Med. Cage RD. Derailluer Works .All Gears

630 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  FrostyStruthers 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi! I upgraded almost all parts on My 97 Specialized S.Jumper FS A1 , Just 1 thing i thought wouldn't work well is the 2009 RD-M770 GS Low Normal Rapid Riser , It actually works in all 24 gears and i didn't touch the chain length, and shifts so much smoother quicker and quieter even under load, not that i do that alot, Did i get lucky , because i thought i wouldn't be able to get all gears moving from a long rear derailluer to medim?? I still have to tweak the index shifting i still have the original grip shifters X-Ray 800. :D Updated ,,From the sticky at the top "What happens if i change to a Shorter derailluer ?? Says a Shimano Medum Rear Derailluer can handle 33 teeth aprrox. you have to calculate your setup according the formula , my set up is 43 teeth , that why i came to the conclusion i wouldn't get all the gears.:yesnod:

#3 · (Edited)
If you read the sticky: What would happen if i change to from a long rear derailluer to short? That is why i was surprised it worked . My tooth count according to the formula and my MTB is :43 and the shimano Med. Cage is : aprrox. 33 teeth.

#4 ·
StumpJumperGuy said:
If you read the sticky: What would happen if i change to from a long rear derailluer to short? That is why i was surprised it worked . My tooth count according to the formula and my MTB is :43 and the shimano Med. Cage is : aprrox. 33 teeth.
Sticky? I don't read "stickies".

:D

And either way, I have changed cage length maybe 50 times on bikes over the years and have never had a problem with it not shifting the full range unless the chain was the incorrect length. Ohh well. The happy baby is happy.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.