Chamois Dropper

Shorten chain for med cage and 1x9 ?

I know this is a somewhat repetitive thread but I have searched and not come up with the exact answer I'm looking for, so:
    I'm switching my wife's 2008 cannondale rush to a 1x9 drivetrain, and swapping her long cage deraillier for a medium. The front ring will be a 32, as the middle ring was before. The cassette will stay the same , 11 - 34. The chain is 108 links. What reference should I use to take some links out of the chain ?
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The same reference as with any other drivetrain - see for example Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Chain Length Sizing

Do not know about the particular bike, but for bikes with rear suspension the measuring should be done through the rear suspension travel and the longest size should be used.

If using powerlink or similar to join the chain, keep that in mind while sizing the chain

Chamois Dropper
    I'm a dummy for checking everywhere but the park site. That helps, thanks.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Rule of thumb is big big + chain growth + 2 links. Place your chain in the biggest ring / cog (32-34 for you)combo. Now compress the rear suspension by reducing air pressure in the shock and pressing on the seat. Now pull the chain to extend the rear derailleur cage to the max. Now add 2 links. This represents the shortest chain your can safely ride with this bike.

Chamois Dropper
    Quote Originally Posted by trek551 View Post
    Rule of thumb is big big + chain growth + 2 links. Place your chain in the biggest ring / cog (32-34 for you)combo. Now compress the rear suspension by reducing air pressure in the shock and pressing on the seat. Now pull the chain to extend the rear derailleur cage to the max. Now add 2 links. This represents the shortest chain your can safely ride with this bike.
    Thanks. Is max deraillier when I still have an "S" bend in the chain around the deraillier pulleys?
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The S bend is streched to almost flat. Remember this is the minimum length. For regular trailriding I add 2 more links in case of a chain break.

Chamois Dropper
    Thanks a lot, I should have the new drivetrain tomorrow so I'll see how it works out. I think I'll experiment with the old chain first to see how it looks and shifts before I take the chain breaker to that new hollow pin chain.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg