mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Shorten chain on a 2x9?

I recently removed my outer front chainring and installed a bashguard and adjusted the limits to prevent it jumping off. My question is should I now shorten my chain, and how many links should I remove. I have a KMC chain, and I have chain tools, so the actual work is no big deal.

I have no intention of reinstalling the ring, and I have a spare chain anyway. How have others here handled it, and what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Yes you can shorten the chain. Wrap the chain around the biggest cog in the back and your biggest ring on the front and then add two full links.

local trails rider
    Except most FS bikes need more chain than that, to account for the axle path during suspension stroke...

I think you should be able to remove at least two links. Maybe three.

mtbr member
    Good point. I know that I used the big-big +2 setup on my fs without any sag. I've had no problems under suspension load, although the cage is pretty stretched. It definitely lessens chain slap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention I do have a full suspension bike. So 2 links would be ok to remove without putting too much strain on the derailleur?