Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    177

    New question here. Short Cage Deraileur?

    Running an 1x9

    33T front
    12-32 Rear.

    Lots of chainslap. Chain is falling off up front.

    Does this call for a short cage?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,297
    Rethink your question. Why would it?

    Shorten the chain.

  3. #3
    Ride the dream
    Reputation: EnglishT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    If the chain is too long, shorten it.

    If you think about it, the big+bigring method still applies, just that your biggest ring is also your smallest ring now.

    Did you recently change to 1x9? Did you change the chain length when dropping the big ring?

  4. #4
    it's....
    Reputation: Strafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,921
    Use single speed ring up front.

  5. #5
    All 26.5" all the time!
    Reputation: Zanetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,855
    Shorten the chain and use a road rear derailleur with an SS cage.

  6. #6
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    Shorten the chain and use a road rear derailleur with an SS cage.
    Agreed, short cage is definitely the way to go. Shorten the chain using the "big-big" method but add in an extra pair of links, and you'll be all set.

    Up until recently I was running a short cage Ultegra on a 1x9 setup, I believe a 32T cassette. Cog clearance was fine, but I recall I had to shave the cage for some reason -- I don't remember exactly why; it may have been a frame clearance issue due to the pecularaties off the folding bike it was installed on. In any case, I was running it with a mountain cassette and a Sram Attack shifter and it was great, as far as derailleurs go.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: juanbeegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,029
    Are you running a chain guide up front at all?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    177

    I think chain length is correct......

    Thanks for the replys. I think the chain length is adequate. The entire setup is new and I think the length is fine. I used the formula method for determinging length.In the 33x32 (big-big) there is not much slack at all.

    I am running a SS Ring up front with a guide on the outside but not inside.

    Suggestions for a guide? Looks like a short cage deraileur would help

    thoughts?

  9. #9
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Grande
    Suggestions for a guide? Looks like a short cage deraileur would help
    Jump Stop would be the best answer for an inside guide.

    A short cage derailleur would definitely provide you extra tension to keep the chain in check.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peternguyen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,172
    i think you may want to consider short cage. as far as i know, long cages are meant for 3 chain ring setups and short cage are for 2 or 1 chain ring setup.

    i was also told that you can use a short cage for a 3 chain ring setup as long as you know the correct gear combinations.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: juanbeegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,029
    A bash guard is not going to help keep your chain in place. If you're a really active rider, having a short cage derailleur and proper chain length will not be enough to keep your chain on. You will need a proper chain guide. Look at what E.13 has to offer. I'm running a LG-1 on my 1X9 jumper and couldn't be happier.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vecsus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,812
    I've looked at those E.13 guards and similar and just can't bring myself to put something like that on my nice 1X9 Waltworks. Those things are just so damn fugly.
    Vecsus

    HTFU or STFU

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Agreed, short cage is definitely the way to go. Shorten the chain using the "big-big" method but add in an extra pair of links, and you'll be all set.

    Up until recently I was running a short cage Ultegra on a 1x9 setup, I believe a 32T cassette. Cog clearance was fine, but I recall I had to shave the cage for some reason -- I don't remember exactly why; it may have been a frame clearance issue due to the pecularaties off the folding bike it was installed on. In any case, I was running it with a mountain cassette and a Sram Attack shifter and it was great, as far as derailleurs go.
    I was under the impression that the length of the derailleur body (not the cage) determined the max cassette cog size that could be accommodated by the derailleur. Otherwise, the top pulley on the cage would swing over and not clear the largest cog. Most road derailleurs have a max cog size of 27. Maybe Shimano has built some wiggle room in that spec, but it seems a bit much to think a road derailleur will clear a 34T cassette. The cage length is all about how much chain slack you need to allow for. The formula for derailleur capacity is (cassette largest cog - cassette smallest cog) + (front largest chainring - front smallest chainring). Once you calculate this, you can pick the proper length cage. What I have found is only the higher-end mountain derailleurs give you a choice of cage length.

    I'm thinking of trying to find an old short cage road derailleur and pull the cage off and put it on an XT mountain derailleur.

  14. #14
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Quote Originally Posted by theMotoMan
    The formula for derailleur capacity is (cassette largest cog - cassette smallest cog) + (front largest chainring - front smallest chainring). Once you calculate this, you can pick the proper length cage.
    That forumla is great if you want to use all gears, including small-small cross chain combos.

    Whatever Shimano says about max cog size, I managed to run an Ultegra short cage with a 32T cassette, no clearance problems.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Jump Stop would be the best answer for an inside guide.

    A short cage derailleur would definitely provide you extra tension to keep the chain in check.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    That forumla is great if you want to use all gears, including small-small cross chain combos.

    Whatever Shimano says about max cog size, I managed to run an Ultegra short cage with a 32T cassette, no clearance problems.
    That is great news that you were able to use that derailleur with no clearance problems. I'm in the market for a short cage myself and a road derailleur might just do the trick!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15
    I use a SRAM Super Short Cage X9 on my 32t front 32-11t back 1x9.
    It's sweet. Shorter than my Shimano 105 short cage. SRAM der. don't really rotate on the hanger bolt so they have less chain slap in my experience.

    Edit.... I use a 3rd Eye chain watcher on the inside and a big ring with the teeth ground off to keep the chain on. Works most of the time, once in awhile the chain gets past the chain watcher. It's important to grind off the teeth of the big ring esp. if you are still using a long cage der. because otherwise the chain can bounce onto the big ring and shift up....which is really bad if you have a minimum length chain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •