mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Bonking ... not feelin' well Shimano Zee Clutch Lever keeps coming loose turning clutch off - advice?

Hi all. I'm running a Zee rear mech on my bike, the Free ride wider gearing version (not downhill) and is paired with a Shimano XT 11-36 cassette and an XTR shifter all 10 speed. My zee rear mech has the gold clutch lever but it has never felt particularly stiff.

Tonight I went out on the trail and as an expermient took my front chain guide off to see if I could get away with just the Zee rear mech to retain the chain. I dropped the chain like 5 times in horrible places too. At first I thought ok, the front chain guide is obviously required for my type of riding in addition to the Zee clutch rear mech, but then I noticed towards the end of the ride that twice in a row when the chain dropped, I checked the Zee Clutch lever and it was in the OFF position.

I am now wondering if the Clutch lever has been coming loose and caused the chains to drop. Or would the lever move to the off position when the chain comes off anyway as a safety thing due to some internal load change when the chain comes off?

I checked my mates Shimano XT Clutch lever (not Zee) and his XT one is slightly stiffer and a little more positive once pushed home to the ON position, but not that much more. A bit of a shame as I love it otherwise.

Is it possible to tighten this lever up? I fail to see why I should improvise with tape or a tie to hold it on. Seems silly.

undercover brother
    I had a Zee, it broke and I am awaiting my warranty replacement, so I replaced it with an XT. The Zee lever was definitely a little flimsy compared to the XT, but it never came loose and dropped to the off position. I would call Shimano and try and get it warrantied, althought the Zee is on backorder forever...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Backorder with...Shimano? As in...trying to get a replacement Zee from the manufacturer direct and they can't supply one? I'm in the UK if this makes a difference.

undercover brother
    Ironically, when I got home from work it was sitting on my doorstep, but it was the DH version and not the FR, so I will be shipping in back to Shimano... But the rep told me they were back ordered at Shimano.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi there.

I've been having exactly the same problem with the clutch lever on my new (2 months' use) FR Zee on a 1x10 set-up using a narrow/wide chainring with no chain guide.

I've yet to drop the chain but have noticed the lever has flicked itself to the 'off' position on numerous occasions, especially after blasting through a rock garden.

I too would appreciate any feedback on this and wether or not its possible to tighten the lever?

Lets hope we get an answer to our problem. Cheers