mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Shimano XTR vs SRAM XX/XO FD?

Has anyone used the new shimano XTR double FD? I'm planning on converting to a 2x9 setup and I'm debating between shimano and sram for the FD. Right now i have a mixture of sram and shimano, but i'm leaning towards a migration to Shimano XTR...at least today!

(yes, it will be a Frankenstein-SRAM Double Crankset(new), Sram x9 shifters/rd (9sp), shimano 10sp chain(new), shimano 9sp cog,,,)

thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you're going to go the frankenbike route it is more important that the chain speed matchs the cassette speed. The cassette spacing is tighter and this is where the majority of the shifts happen.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would agree if the casette was 10sp....but in my case, rear is completely 9sp. Although I haven't installed it yet, my understanding is that the inner dimensions of a 10sp chain is the same as a 9sp chain-which should make it compatible with a 9sp cogset+rd. My hope would be that the slightly narrower outer dimensions would improve chain rub/performance up front-in conjunction with a double-specific FD...but then again, I could be wrong!

mtbr member
    I have a XTR Double FD on the way for my XX Double Crank, I will let you know how it works.
    Also my 10spd chain works great with the 9spd cassette.

What It Be ?
    Stupid question time. Can you use a triple front derailleur on a double crank? I'm running gripshift XO's if it makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Out of curiosity, did you choose downswing or topswing? I have a hardtail and can go either way, but their doesn't seem to be a lot of definitive info on pros/cons...

mtbr member
    My triple XT etype FD worked but I could not get it low enough. The upshifts would drag if you did not shift fast.

mtbr member
    2011 XTR Double FD Works perfect with xx chain rings!
    Last edited by Jacobus; 12-03-2010 at 07:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes you can. But it is tricky to set up. You have to really know what you are doing with limits and cable tension.