mtbr member

Shimano XTR RD-M950 rear derailleur - 9 speed?

How do I know if this XTR 950 rear derailleur I got is an 8 speed or a 9 speed. I'm getting conflicting info in my Google search, and the Shimano website doesn't help much.

The seller said it's a 9 speed in the ad, and at the time I purchased it from him I didn't think much of it. Only later on when I did an Ebay search to see how much this model was going for and giggle at what a deal I got did I notice that it may be for an 8 speed.

So if it's an 8 speed, will it work with my 9-speed LX shifter and 9-speed SRAM PG980 cassette?

edit to add: it's a medium cage model

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It will run 8 or 9 speed. Don't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Thanks, pisgah, that's what I wanted to hear! But one more thing on interest, the PG 980 cassette is an 11-34t with a SRAM PC970 9-speed chaim. Still safe?

The rear derailleur medium cage might work well, will depend on your chainring setup. The cassette and chain will work fine.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Cool, that's great news! The set up I have for this curent build is gonna be a 1 x 9: Bontrager Race Lite single-speed crankset 32t up front and a SRAM PG980 11-34t in the rear. Shifter is an LX M580 9 speed.

Originally I was gonna use an LX M581 9-speed rear derailleur (long cage), which I already had. Then I happened upon this lovely XTR M950 medium cage with a pimped green anodized hangar bolt in fairly good condition for a Saturday-night-special price! Couldn't resist.

ps
    I've never seen a colored hangar bolt on any XTR RD.