COMBO - President

Shimano XTR 2x10 drive train coming

Anyone read the Mountain Bike Action article on the new Shimano XTR 2x10 to be released? I am getting ready buy XTR and would prefer this setp to a triple.

Any other information would be appreciated.

- release date
    - gearing choices

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm right behind you in line to buy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    its officially the 2011 line...but when that gets released who knows. There were spy photos about a month ago, but not a huge amount of detail.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Formerly of Kent
    You're about a month late.

I re-posted a parts list of all 2011 10s XTR, XT and SLX stuff a month ago, maybe more. Pretty common knowledge now, I think.

COMBO - President
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    You're about a month late.

I re-posted a parts list of all 2011 10s XTR, XT and SLX stuff a month ago, maybe more. Pretty common knowledge now, I think.
    The point of the post was to request any additional information, not to be berate for asking.

I have about 1 month before I need to buy the XTR group, if that 2x10 were available by then I'd like to know soon.

- also what gearing choices will be available?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTK
    also what gearing choices will be available?
    Here's the spy image with the alleged gearing options:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano XTR 2x10 drive train coming-mobile01-354a563b07a5ec818eded46730a862db.jpg  

ups and downs
    New stuff is always officially introduced at Eurobike/Interbike in Sept/Oct (and sometimes at Sea Otter in April), and there's a good chance that not all of it is shipping as retail product until late 2010 or early 2011. Those specs would have been the advance info for bike manufacturer product managers who are spec'ing their 2011 models now and booking component orders.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTK
    Anyone read the Mountain Bike Action article on the new Shimano XTR 2x10 to be released? I am getting ready buy XTR and would prefer this setp to a triple.

Any other information would be appreciated.

- release date
    - gearing choices
    10 speed is stupid. I'm holding out another year or two for 12 speed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    LOL.
    10 speed is stupid. Campy's 11 speed is stupid. 12 speed is coming so I'm trying to get older and weaker so I don't fold those gears over.

I've stocked up on 9spd road and mountain to the point where I'll be 9spd until 2025.
    2x9 makes sense.
    Last edited by egebhardt; 04-07-2010 at 03:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2x9 is perfectly OK, I agree with you. I'd like a top-end 11-36 (or 12-36 as who really uses an 11 for extended periods?) cassette. the 2x concept I consider vastly superior to 3x for many reasons. I also already use 10sp chains on my 9sp double - with no reduction in lifespan.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    Here's the spy image with the alleged gearing options:

I've seen this chart a few times but didn't notice until now that the new XTR will be coming out with a optional trail version (RD and brake). Interesting to see what exactly will be different with this setup .

Another note. Glad to see Shimano is finally making a quick link for their chains - wow... it's about time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    2x9 is perfectly OK, I agree with you. I'd like a top-end 11-36 (or 12-36 as who really uses an 11 for extended periods?) cassette. the 2x concept I consider vastly superior to 3x for many reasons. I also already use 10sp chains on my 9sp double - with no reduction in lifespan.
    I have to agree with you guys 2x9 is more than adequate. I just don't need a 10spd + rear cassette. I can see on a road bike where you are in a peloton and you need to match gear ratios to keep you cadence in the right zone, but if you are doing that on a mountain bike, you probably aren't riding on the mountain.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar
    I have to agree with you guys 2x9 is more than adequate. I just don't need a 10spd + rear cassette. I can see on a road bike where you are in a peloton and you need to match gear ratios to keep you cadence in the right zone, but if you are doing that on a mountain bike, you probably aren't riding on the mountain.
    I disagree. Having the right cadence has it's place in MTB even if there are no pelotons. In fact it's probably even more important to have the right gear when you try to climb this slippery hill, on the verge of exhaustion and of losing traction...
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    I disagree. Having the right cadence has it's place in MTB even if there are no pelotons. In fact it's probably even more important to have the right gear when you try to climb this slippery hill, on the verge of exhaustion and of losing traction...

Who says there are no Peletons in MTB try the trans rockies or the trans alps.

Secondly try a 6 man ride out and up some old BC logging roads.

r29
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    new to biking whats the benefits of going to 2x9 or 2x10 vs 3x9 or 3x8.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r29
    new to biking whats the benefits of going to 2x9 or 2x10 vs 3x9 or 3x8.
    Most mountain bikes are 3x9, there are a couple of reasons you might want to change from that.

2x9 is pretty common on everything from cross country to all mountain bikes. If you're on a XC bike, you will probably get rid of the smallest chainring in the front because XC rigs are all about speed so the granny gear is unnecessary most of the time. If you're riding something more burly you might consider getting rid of the big ring and putting a bash-guard to protect the middle chainring. That is what my setup is on my AM rig, I never miss the big ring in front.

8 gears has a few advantages, eg. a wider chain so chainlife is better but in most cases you would never switch from 9 gears to 8, unless you're of a very strong opinion that 9 gears is unnecessary (like a lot of people on mtbr

The whole industry seems to be shifting (ooooh did you catch that pun!) to 10 gears in the next few years, at least for the mid to high end mountain bikes. There are a few advantages to 10 gears that I see:
    -Chainline is straighter since the cranks are designed for 2x10, and thus chain wear is less .
    -Getting rid of one chainring will lighten the whole system.
    -You end up getting more usable gears.

Personally I don't see a big reason to upgrade from 2x9, but I might weigh the pros and cons again when something breaks on my current setup.

mtbr member
    when i first started riding shifting to the granny ring was always a dicey affair

even top pros used chain watchers to keep the chain from falling off when going to the granny ring

some even do that with their 2x9 or 2x10 setups...but it is not as big of a problem now

2x9 and 2x10 is a great idea - lighter, easier, simpler

if a 2x9 with 11-32t is good - why not a 2x10 with 11-36t? - one more gear in the rear
    one less reason to shift to the small ring = one less chance of a chain incident

Why not- maybe they can do a 3 spd rear hub with 9 or 10 spd cassette?

More clearance for the front ring

Chain has almost zero chance of falling off - possible 27 to 30 gear combinations (some overlaps)
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

r29
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    currently i have 3x8 any reason in the near future to upgrade to 3x9 or 2x9??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r29
    currently i have 3x8 any reason in the near future to upgrade to 3x9 or 2x9??
    No real reason until something breaks maybe or if you have the feeling that a wad of cash is burning a hole in your pocket

PROEDGEBIKER.COM