mtbr member
    Aug 2004

shimano xtr 2003 crankset question

after came across the review of this product at mtbreview.com, it seemed that most of the users not happy with the performance such as chainring probs..etc etc.. My bike is currently using some sort of old crappy crankset with xtr 2003 rear derail. So, my point is, does it worth for me to get this xtr 2003 crankset or i should try truvativ hussefelt or holzfeller. I would love to change to truvativ, but i dont think it came with bottom bracket rite? thanks for your guys help.

m4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m4dj4ck
    after came across the review of this product at mtbreview.com, it seemed that most of the users not happy with the performance such as chainring probs..etc etc.. My bike is currently using some sort of old crappy crankset with xtr 2003 rear derail. So, my point is, does it worth for me to get this xtr 2003 crankset or i should try truvativ hussefelt or holzfeller. I would love to change to truvativ, but i dont think it came with bottom bracket rite? thanks for your guys help.

m4
    At $400+ new, the XTR crank is a real stretch. Are they "worth it"? No. I'm a gear junkie, and I found a good used one with a new BB for about $250, and am happy with it so far. I haven't had it long enough to tell about the chainring wear, though. It's lighter, but it doesn't feel much different than the ancient square-taper XT crank it replaced. I'm sure it's stiffer, but I can't tell on a full suspension frame.

I think the external bearing system is good, especially since Race Face BB's are completely compatible, and cheap. I would also check out XT, and the Race Face Atlas or Deus cranks. No experience with Truvative, but I'm sure there's nothing wrong with them.

-David

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fallzboater
    At $400+ new, the XTR crank is a real stretch. Are they "worth it"? No. I'm a gear junkie, and I found a good used one with a new BB for about $250, and am happy with it so far. I haven't had it long enough to tell about the chainring wear, though. It's lighter, but it doesn't feel much different than the ancient square-taper XT crank it replaced. I'm sure it's stiffer, but I can't tell on a full suspension frame.

I think the external bearing system is good, especially since Race Face BB's are completely compatible, and cheap. I would also check out XT, and the Race Face Atlas or Deus cranks. No experience with Truvative, but I'm sure there's nothing wrong with them.

-David

yeah...this product cost me a bomb(after converted to our local currency). I think i would go for truvativ hussefelt triple and later save enough money to get a better BB. Ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The 960 ring pattern is unique 4 arm 146/102/62mm bcd. No aftermarket mfgs make rings for 'em yet. ~$100 for replacement big ring, $50 for middle.

Deus uses 4 arm 104/64 bcd common to other rf cranks and shi mano lx/xt.

I'd take either one over the unreliable isis format though

nice thread on both here: So is the General Cons. that Race Face DeusXC=Bad Bearings?

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004

Best deal IMHO...

m4
    By far, IMHO, the best deal to be had right now is on Truvativ Stylo Team. You can get it them for about $110 right now. This is high end stuff and with a nice bb bracket, will only be about 7 grams more than XTR stuff and these are MUCH better reviewed cranks. I personally like Truvativ stuff a lot.

You mention the hussefelt of hollzfeller...what type of bike? If you are riding a big-hit bike, which these cranks are made for, I would then not consider the Stylo's I mention above. However, I also have Holzfellers on my Bullit and they are fantastic. I would stay away from the XTR stuff personally since I see no tangible advantage to them at all....but that is just my opinion. I would use the extra coin towards something that will make more than a theoretical difference like good suspension or good disc brakes.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    By far, IMHO, the best deal to be had right now is on Truvativ Stylo Team. You can get it them for about $110 right now. This is high end stuff and with a nice bb bracket, will only be about 7 grams more than XTR stuff and these are MUCH better reviewed cranks. I personally like Truvativ stuff a lot.
    Does Stylo Team/SL comes with BB together? If not, which model of BB would u guys recommend? Yeah...the bike shop mechanic told me that xtr isnt that good for heavy duty or aggresive riders. Its BB and chainring will wear out very fast. Im not sure of what they said anyway coz i didnt test this xtr crankset and BB before. But i would like to try other product instead. So, i think i should give Truvativ a try.

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    You mention the hussefelt of hollzfeller...what type of bike? If you are riding a big-hit bike, which these cranks are made for, I would then not consider the Stylo's I mention above. However, I also have Holzfellers on my Bullit and they are fantastic. I would stay away from the XTR stuff personally since I see no tangible advantage to them at all....but that is just my opinion. I would use the extra coin towards something that will make more than a theoretical difference like good suspension or good disc brakes.
    no..my specialized dont even have a front suspension fork. i normally travel to work using my bike(changed to 1.15" tires) and sometimes, i would go for mountain bike hash during weekend. I dont really dare to do such a powerful jumping without a suspension rite? hehe..so i think im not a big hit riders. Anyway, i think i`ll give stylo team/SL a try and forget about hussefelt/hollzfeller. Thanks for your ideas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Does Stylo Team/SL comes with BB together?

No it doesn't have integrated thru bb. Comes in isis form only.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    hey guys...i got a great deal( i guessed) from the bikeshop owner. He offered me a RaceFace NorthShore DH with SRX 113 BB at the same price as XTR 2003 crankset and BB. For your guys information, im not a DH riders. So, do u think is it worth to get that raceface? Btw, my rear derail is xtr 2003. does it give me much problem if im were to change to raceface? Also, Race face(with BB) is at least 200g heavier than the xtr2003(with BB as well). Hmm...hard choice.... Really needs suggestion.thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetdaddy
    The 960 ring pattern is unique 4 arm 146/102/62mm bcd. No aftermarket mfgs make rings for 'em yet. ~$100 for replacement big ring, $50 for middle.

Deus uses 4 arm 104/64 bcd common to other rf cranks and shi mano lx/xt.

I'd take either one over the unreliable isis format though

nice thread on both here: So is the General Cons. that Race Face DeusXC=Bad Bearings?
    I just got an e-mail reply (below) from Brett who is making Boone Ti chainrings. I asked if there were any available for M960 XTR. I think the prices were fairly comparable to OEM XTR rings, but these should last about forever. I can't seem to find the web page again, but you can e-mail him at: browntechnologies@mindspring.com

"None of the rings are standard sizes! The patterns are 146/102/64mm. The good news is we have rings to fit them all. We don’t have them on the ordering page, but if you just order any pattern with the correct teeth that you want and put a note in the comment field to make the pattern for a M960 we can take care of it. The middle goes down to 32t and the inner goes down to 22t."

I also got a reply from Paul at Cycle Dynamics. He says they are making a 22 tooth inner ring for M960, for $33.

So, there are a couple of options now!

-David

mtbr member
    hey guys...i got a great deal( i guessed) from the bikeshop owner. He offered me a RaceFace NorthShore DH with SRX 113 BB at the same price as XTR 2003 crankset and BB. For your guys information, im not a DH riders. So, do u think is it worth to get that raceface? Btw, my rear derail is xtr 2003. does it give me much problem if im were to change to raceface? Also, Race face(with BB) is at least 200g heavier than the xtr2003(with BB as well). Hmm...hard choice.... Really needs suggestion.thanks.
    Huh? Are you sure this isn't a troll? You can get the Race Face NorthShore DH for about $140 (try Cambria). It's a heavy downhill crank (not sure if it'll even take more than one chainring), not at all comparable to the XTR. Whatever rear derailleur your using doesn't make any difference as far as the crank is concerned.

I jumped straight from an old XT square-taper to new XTR with outboard bearings, so I don't have any experience with Octalink or ISIS, but I think outboard bearings are the way to go. The best deals now are the new XT or Race Face Atlas or Deus, but it looks like there will be more options out soon. I'm glad Race Face followed Shimano's dimensions, so with any luck others will follow suit and we'll have a new standard.

-David

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fallzboater
    Huh? Are you sure this isn't a troll? You can get the Race Face NorthShore DH for about $140 (try Cambria). It's a heavy downhill crank (not sure if it'll even take more than one chainring), not at all comparable to the XTR. Whatever rear derailleur your using doesn't make any difference as far as the crank is concerned.

I jumped straight from an old XT square-taper to new XTR with outboard bearings, so I don't have any experience with Octalink or ISIS, but I think outboard bearings are the way to go. The best deals now are the new XT or Race Face Atlas or Deus, but it looks like there will be more options out soon. I'm glad Race Face followed Shimano's dimensions, so with any luck others will follow suit and we'll have a new standard.

-David
    what do u mean by outboard bearings?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've been using the XTR M960 crank since january 2003. It still has the orginal rings fitted and the only time i get chainsuck is when it's really wet and muddy and the lube has washed off.
    Otherwise they have been fine.

I agree that the proprietry sizing for the rings is ridiculous especially since the difference is so small on the PCD but this is the only crank I've owed where the spider has not bent after the first year.The crank still runs true and the shifting performance of therings is better then anything under all conditions - unless chainsuck has set in.
    That said, In a recent 100km off road race where it rained from an hour before the start till we arrived at the finish 100km away, I was the only rider in my group to not have chainsuck after the 1st hour.
    I'dsay that this translated into a distinct advantage and allowed me to keep pace with much fitter riders.

I'll replace the rings, chain and cassette next before the start of the Cape Epic in April. The rings seem to be good to last that long.

they've now got over 3000km on them.

Also the XTR crank is for racers, for mere mortals there is the XT which has all the advantages plus it's compatible with any other 4 bolts MTB chainring out there.

I've be more inclined to buy that chainset and replace the rings eventually with TA Specialities rings which are by far the best rings for MTB or road use. Simply superb.

No problems with the BB bearings on the XTR either. Been the most trouble free drivetrain i've ever had.

Bikeaddict
    Apr 2004

XTR - If you try it you'll buy it.

Had my XTR's a year after having XT (but not the new one) and Trutativ. I hate taking the 'Shimano is best' view but the XTR's are fantastic and although I hated paying that much they totally transformed the riding experience and haven't worn or caused chainsuck once in any (usually muddy British) riding conditions after hundreds of miles of very difficult terrain. Only complaint is 44t max large ring and they scratch within five minutes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eungblut
    Had my XTR's a year after having XT (but not the new one) and Trutativ. I hate taking the 'Shimano is best' view but the XTR's are fantastic and although I hated paying that much they totally transformed the riding experience and haven't worn or caused chainsuck once in any (usually muddy British) riding conditions after hundreds of miles of very difficult terrain. Only complaint is 44t max large ring and they scratch within five minutes.
    yeah..but xtr crankset is way too expensive for me. I would prefer truvativ stylo team. Not sure whether it's compatible with xtr 2003 rear derail.