mtbr member
    May 2010

Smile Shimano XTR 10 speed vs sram X0 10 speed

Hi there

I am needing some help with choosing a rear derailer and shifters. I'm going to use a shimano XT cassette and chain but I have no idea what shifters and derailer I should go for. I've been riding the shimano XTR 9 speed for two years now and they are feeling tired. My decision has to be between the XTR or X0. Please state which one you would go for and why...

The XTR seems to be lighter and less expensive but is the shifting for the XO alot better?

Rider and Wrench
    It really comes down to preference - Like it or not the new shimano 10spd rear der feel more like a sram because of the step away from the 2:1 ratio and closer to srams 1:1 -

The XTR LH shifter is nice since you can go 2 or 3 speed and multi release shifters are a plus as well, you can go thumb thumb or pull the trigger-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    so the XTR is 1:1 ratio? what about the XT derailer?

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon crunchy
    so the XTR is 1:1 ratio? what about the XT derailer?
    No Shimano did not quite go to a 1:1 ratio so you can't mix and match them (yet anyway) but all of the Dyna shift 10 speed rear shifters/der (XT, SLX etc.) have a reduced pull ratio compared to the 2:1 that was used in the past. I have not searched to hard to find what the exact ratio is but it is a noticeable "feel" when I hop from XTR 970 to 980.

The front Der/shifters still use the same cable pull so you can interchange 9-10 speed front shifters as well as Sram and Shimano deraillers/shifters. You just have to make sure the derailleur matches the crankset; 9spd w/ 9spd, 10spd with 10spd as far as dedicated 2X cranksets both sram and shimano make 2X specific FD's and some are even ratio/ring specific but I am not sure what the compatibility is on them-
    I Just wish I could ride more!