mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Shimano XT or XTR front derailleur?

I have a 2002 shimano LX front derailleur (34.9mm clamp, bottom pull) that has so much busing play at the pivot points that I think its time for a new one. I'm considering either the new shimano xt or xtr front derailleurs--but is the xtr derailleur really worth the $25 extra dollars over the XT? I know its ligher weight, but is there any other advantage?

Also, can I use a different type of derailleur, like a top pull front derailleur? Frankly, I'm sick of braking derailleurs, so I'm willing to pay for what's durable and can take the beatings of cross-country racing. Any ideas?

banned
    Apr 2004

Just remember this, XT is almost as good as XTR

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy2324
    I have a 2002 shimano LX front derailleur (34.9mm clamp, bottom pull) that has so much busing play at the pivot points that I think its time for a new one. I'm considering either the new shimano xt or xtr front derailleurs--but is the xtr derailleur really worth the $25 extra dollars over the XT? I know its ligher weight, but is there any other advantage?
    Also, can I use a different type of derailleur, like a top pull front derailleur? Frankly, I'm sick of braking derailleurs, so I'm willing to pay for what's durable and can take the beatings of cross-country racing. Any ideas?

for around 1/2 the price, this is true of most if not all the XT and XTR componets.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

What you probably have is a top-swing front derailleur. They develope play in the cage almost immediately. The bottom-swingers are tighter, and more durable, but not always a option, depending on the frame you are using. Now if you have no choice on swing, just pick up another LX or XT. Also, you can not change to a top pull if your frame is set up to be a bottom pull.

Dirt Burner

I use a XT front and XTR rear on my bike, I have considered purchasing an XTR for the front, but the XT seems to keep going with no problems.
    A friend of mine uses LX and XT on the front of his bikes. Says he likes the way the XT functions better than the LX, claims its smoother. I'm not sure about that.
    I believe there are people who disagree with my beliefs. I don't believe they are wrong. I know they are.
    - Ted Nugent

So Much To Break, So Little Time

the catalan connection

Couldnīt agree more

Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    What you probably have is a top-swing front derailleur. They develope play in the cage almost immediately. The bottom-swingers are tighter, and more durable, but not always a option, depending on the frame you are using. Now if you have no choice on swing, just pick up another LX or XT. Also, you can not change to a top pull if your frame is set up to be a bottom pull.
    Go for bottom swing if you can.
    However Iīm not sure if newer XT and XTR have solved this. Might be. They have wider cages.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Types of Front Derailleurs, PRICE???

Quote Originally Posted by What&son
    Go for bottom swing if you can.
    However Iīm not sure if newer XT and XTR have solved this. Might be. They have wider cages.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I currently have the Top Swing, Bottom Pull Shimano LX front derailleur on my Specialized Stumpy. Can I run a bottom swing FD just by moving the derailleur body higher on the seattube? The diameter of the seattube is the same all the way to the seat post collar on my bike.

Also, why do top swing front derailleurs cost more? One would imagine that they shift better, but....who knows, is it just one of Shimano's pricing schemes? Knowing the cost, I think I'll go with the shimano XT Front derailleur--but I still can't decide what type. Thanks!

the catalan connection

Yes, but...

Thanks for the suggestions. I currently have the Top Swing, Bottom Pull Shimano LX front derailleur on my Specialized Stumpy. Can I run a bottom swing FD just by moving the derailleur body higher on the seattube? The diameter of the seattube is the same all the way to the seat post collar on my bike.

Also, why do top swing front derailleurs cost more? One would imagine that they shift better, but....who knows, is it just one of Shimano's pricing schemes? Knowing the cost, I think I'll go with the shimano XT Front derailleur--but I still can't decide what type. Thanks!
    remember that the higer clamp on bottom swing derailleurs might interfere whith some water bottle cage designs. Not a big deal anyway. I dremel-ed it a little bit in order to clear the clamp in a pinch, and bought a new one later.
    You said top swing cost more; is that what you ment? later you say it might be becouse they shift better..you mean despite the play they get almost inmediately?
    Whichever costs more, I have no idea why
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

"El Whatever"
    Buy a Shimano Deore. It'll work as good as the LX and it's top/bottom pull compatible. Also has spacers for any tube diameter. A no brainer indeed.

If you want to upgrade anyway go for the XT... the price penalty is not worthy for the XTR unless you have a heavy case of "weight-weenitis"
    Check my Site

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

If your Stumpy is a hardtail, go with the bottom swinger. You can still use the a bottle cage too. I have 3 Stumpy hardtails, 2 with bottom swing front derailleurs, the other is a single speed. Some say the top swing shifts better, but I think they are POS's for the excess play. I run 8spd drivetrains, so Ebay is usually a great place to start looking. Also, the LX's and XT's are virtually identical.

Stupid Cool HipHop Style
    Does anyone know what type of derailleur I need for a 2005 Rockhopper? The Alivio on it sucks hardcore and I was thinking about going for an XT. What else is there that would for well? (I'm a Clyde, by the way, so strength is more important than weight)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'll be the voice of dissent here and say go XTR, specifically the wide cage low clamp model. Your chain will never rub your derialluer cage again. I spend a lot of time in 2/6 and 2/7 where everything else rubs. Unless you are going to get the low clamp model, just save your money and get another LX or something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The front deraileur cable stop on the seat tube of my frame is positioned to work with a top swing deraileur. (The cable attachment on the top swing is further inboard than on the bottom swing). I'm trying to use a bottom swing, but the cable exits the cable stop at a 40 degree angle on the way to the bottom swing front deraileur. this kind of crimps the cable a bit, and makes shifting hard. I can not re-position the cable stop - any suggestions?

PS: I need to use a bottom swing deraileur since I am running a 46,34,21 chainring setup.