mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Shimano XT vs. SRAM X.0

Not sure which drivetrain to go towards. I currently ride Shimano XTR on my race bike (HT). Going to build my next bike most likely a Santa Cruz full suspension (Blur LT, Heckler, or Nomad) but just wanna try something different so I'm leaning towards the SRAM X.O Rear D., SRAM X Front D. & SRAM X.9 Trigger shifter. Would this be just as eqivalant OR "better" than a Shimano XT group drivetrain?

The devil is an angel too
    I just installed a SRAM drivetrain (X7 shifters, X9 rd, Xgen fd) replacing a Shimano (deore shifters and fd, XTrd). The X9 shifts as well as the XT or better (IMO) and it was very easy to install/adjust. The Xgen front was equally easy to install and has allowed me to downshift under pressure ( a signifcant improvement from the deore!) the cage is very stiff and I guess SRAM's marketing about the "very strong pivot" is not crap, that thing moves that chain where you want it when you want it. It is probably as good as an XT but heavier from what I hear. You better make sure it fits on your frame though, the thing is BIG. The shifters work fine, and I like the ergonomics better than shimano's. But that is personal preference, I would recommend you test them before hand, you may not find them comfortable.

The main complain people seem to have about sram’s stuff is durability, especially rd’s. Haven’t had mine long enough to tell, but it seems X0’s have a tendency to self-destruct at the plastic knuckle, X9's don't have a plastic knuckle so I should be ok. Other thing to consider, SRAM's rear ders don’t have a forward pivot so if you run a short chain you will very likely destroy them (BIG issue on fs bikes, when suspension compress) So far I find them easier to adjust than shimano's, they perform as well as shimano’s or better, and they seem to hold an adjustment for a longer period than shimano’s.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    X.0 is equivalent to XTR not XT.

Of the two systems I prefer the XTR.
    I prefer low normal rear derailleurs,
    I prefer teh ergonomics of the Dual Control shifter and
    The disc brakes are the best in the business so I really can;t be bothered with anyone else's brakes.

Also the Crank is the lightest and stiffest with the possiible exception of the Extralite cranks.

These facrtors make me choose only one groupset...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    X9 is more comparable in price to XT. The X0 rear mech is ridiculously expensive. I can't see what advantage it brings over the X9 apart from bling and a small weight saving. I have X9 triggers and X9 rear mech on my FS trailbike and haven't adjusted them once in 6 months riding - can't fault that. The thumb trigger shift works great and has a nice positive click to every change, up or down.

I've just fitted an X9 rear mech, X9 twist shifters and X-Gen front mech to my wife's bike. Very impressive shifting and very easy to set up. I might try the twist grips myself next time! Make sure the X-Gen front mech fits your frame as it sits very high on the seat tube.