mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Shimano XT Problem

So I have a 17 Trek Fuel EX8. the DT is all Shimano XT other than I took the factory 2x11 setup and had a Wolftooth 32T Oval CR put on and made it 1x11. Its been great on the trails. Issue is I only get to ride singletrack once maybe twice a week but still ride 3-4 times a week on local gravel roads. Still using the EX (spent all my $ on this bike and don't want a road bike) When its in the 11T cog the chain slips here and there and becoming more of an issue recently. It only happens in the 11T cog. Yes its probably above average pedaling pressure but its not like I'm standing on it barely moving. I can be on top of the gear and "charging" up a small hill and it does it now. Have never had it happen on my 1x11 GX set up on my fat bike or the 2x10 setup I had on a Xcal 9 I had for a bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It sounds like the chain is too long. Usually you can drop a few links when converting to 1x because you're eliminating the largest chain ring. You can also try some b-screw adjustment to get a tad more wrap on the 11t, just make sure you still have the necessary space when on the big cog.

I presume that because this is a new bike, the cog, chain and RD spring are undamaged and with little to no wear. If that's an incorrect assumption, then, of course, check the cog, chain, and RD spring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Slips like it is trying to change gear or like the chain jumped?
    Do you have the suspension locked out?
    Just for fun, try turning the clutch off and see what happens.

mtbr member
    The most common cause for that is a worn cog, chain, or both but since your bike is pretty much new that's not likely. The high limit screw could be a tad off, or there could be a bad chain link. A couple extra links (chain too long) shouldn't cause that problem IME.

Is bringing it back to the Trek dealer an option? They should be able to take care of that issue.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks guys. I'll check those things out. If it's nothing I get sorted out by time I make my next trip to the Trek dealer that's where it's going.

Slash5 - just jumps. Doesn't try to change gear or cause the chain to come off. Or at least it hasn't yet.

mtbr member
    Well if the chain was so loose the derailleur was at full cage stroke when you went to top gear, that coupled with the oval ring might drop the chain tension enough to make it skip.

You should snap a quick pic of the bike with the derailleur shifted to the 11t. Does it feel like the chain is slack when you do that? Check the tension at a couple crank arm angles, that oval sprocket seems fishy to me...
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

Just a flesh wound
    Is the clutch engaged? Is you low limit a touch high? Is your tension good? When you were 2x, how big was the big chainring? Maybe the chain is too long? So many questions..
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    Is you low limit a touch high?
    Why would the low limit matter? Clutch?

IME 2x bikes in the small/small combo don't skip under pressure (including mine) so unless the chain is sagging I'd look elsewhere.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    After looking at it more the b screw was turned all the way in taking the high jockey way off the cassette (pretty sure the guy that set it up brain farted and didnt really set up the RD at all lol. I had to set the high and low screws when i first got it as they were a fair ways off. I guess i should have seen the writing on the wall.) I adjusted properly n the lowest gear and the chain had quite a bit more engagement on the 11t cog. I rode it hard for a couple miles in 11 trying to really get after it on what hills i had available and seemed to solve the issue, but id like to go back to some of those longer dirt road hills and really test it again.

The bike was set up new with that 1x chainring. chain has good tension and clutch is engaged. Ive had an WT oval CR on all my 1x DTs and have never had any issues, but those were all SRAM too.