mtbr member

Shimano xt med cage r derailleur with 11-34 cassette and 36/22 chainrings?

I'm about to buy a new crankset for my 575, Shimano slx (22/36/bash), and would like to also upgrade my shimano xt shadow long cage rear derailleur to a shimano xt shadow medium cage derailleur. I am currently running a 11-34 cassette. Shimano specs the total capacity of the medium cage at 33t, with the slx cranks and the 11-34, I calculate the total capacity to be 37. I know that's outside their specified capacity but i was told by my LBS that it "could" and "should" work, but I'm not willing to risk $90 on coulds and shoulds. Does anyone have any experience with this set up, does it work ? what are the problems I might run into? My LBS told me the rules kind of "bend" when only using 2 rings in front instead of 3.

I'm ordering the parts online so any help is appreciated before i pull the trigger.

Thanks
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

Former Bike Wrench
    I've ran SRAM X.9 medium cage with a 22/36 and an 11-34 cassette no problem...I believe they also have a 33t capacity. Those figures have always been pretty conservative.

g3h6o3
    You won't break anything running this even if it is out of their actual (not conservative) range. What's going to happen is that when on the small ring and small sprockets (11 & 12 is my guess), your chain will rub against itself around the 2nd pulley, you will have slack in your chain and you might skip some gears because of lack of tension. Since you shouldn't end up in these gears anyways, I wouldn't worry.

I used to ride a SRAM short cage on a 11-34 with 26-36 just fine although it is out of range. Just make sure you size your chain for the big-big combo and it's all good!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Former Bike Wrench
    [QUOTE=PissedOffCilWhat's going to happen is that when on the small ring and small sprockets (11 & 12 is my guess), your chain will rub against itself around the 2nd pulley, you will have slack in your chain and you might skip some gears because of lack of tension. [/QUOTE]

Was never the case for me on three different bikes...I could run small/small (not that I ever would) and the chain would still have tension and not rub on itself while still being ok to run big/big (which I commonly ran in a 2 x 9). This is why it is a conservative number IME.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Was never the case for me on three different bikes...I could run small/small (not that I ever would) and the chain would still have tension and not rub on itself while still being ok to run big/big (which I commonly ran in a 2 x 9). This is why it is a conservative number IME.
    It's possible that it doesn'T occur, I never tested this with this exact setup but if the derailleur lacked capacity, what I described is what would happen. My point was : it won't damage anything.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    i run 11x34 with 22,32,38 with a xt med cage with no problem