mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shimano XT M760 crankset question... Shimano Buffs?

So I was talking to a guy at my local shop today, and he told me that the chainline on the M760 crankset would nearly exactly the same as the Truvative cranks that I am currently running. He was saying that the chainline would be about 44 or so, I believe? Everything I had heard before today was that the chainline would be different? Have they made changes to the crankset without giving it a new name/number? I know that the cranks are going to have a wider Q factor, but I'm alright with that (tall guy). Any thoughts?

Chainline spec for the M760 is 50mm. According to the Truvativ site they spec out usually to 48.5 but depends on which spindle you use...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So to the best of your knowledge there has only been one version of the M760? I am going to pick one up off ebay, and I just wanted to make sure I'm not short changing myself. Of cource I would rather buy one from one of my local shops, but I just can't justify spending nearly $100 more for the same part. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to get something from an earlier production run that was different, or something crazy like that.

Chrome Toaster
    The 760's have a 50mm chainline. I have no idea what your current cranks are set at but they should be somewhere between the standard 47.5mm-50mm range depending on the spindle. Anyway, the 760's are awesome cranks and should work great regardless of this.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    The 760's have a 50mm chainline. I have no idea what your current cranks are set at but they should be somewhere between the standard 47.5mm-50mm range depending on the spindle. Anyway, the 760's are awesome cranks and should work great regardless of this.
    I shifted a bb shell spacer to the nondrive side which gives 47.5mm chainline. The wider q-factor is my only complaint on these cranks. It's not a huge deal but it is noticeable.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    I shifted a bb shell spacer to the nondrive side which gives 47.5mm chainline.
    With this arrangement, do the cranks feel slightly off center to you?

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    With this arrangement, do the cranks feel slightly off center to you?
    I don't notice any difference. I'm still running 8 speed and 50mm chainline doesn't work on my bike.
    Long Live Long Rides

coffee

New question here.

pardon my ignorance, but how is chainline measured? thanks.

"...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    NIce. It looks like I should be good to go. I checked out that website too. Thats good stuff, thanks for posting it.

coffee
    super sweet info. I should have known Sheldon Brown would have the answer!