Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nixgame22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    514

    Shimano XT dyna-sys 2X10

    So, I'm wanting to drop the big ring on my drivetrain to a 36t/bashguard. However, I was told at the local shop the Shimano 36t chainring for the new XT Dyna-sys crankset isn't available yet.
    Can anybody confirm this? Anything else available yet?
    Thanks!
    nick
    Maintain internal heights.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    114
    Raceface has a 24/36/Bash 10spd setup on the Trek scratch air. I assume it's available but I don't see in on their website.

    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...r/scratchair9/

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nixgame22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy02
    Raceface has a 24/36/Bash 10spd setup on the Trek scratch air. I assume it's available but I don't see in on their website.

    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...r/scratchair9/
    Thanks, but I'm not a fan of Raceface rings.
    Anything on a 10-speed Shimano 36t chainring?
    Maintain internal heights.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    49
    2x10 is for XTR at the moment, but there has been speculation that the dual ring setups are coming to SLX and XT groups sooner or later as well (I can't find the link at the moment). Propably they have 36t dynasys chainrings and more variations out at the same time.

  5. #5
    Stiff yet compliant
    Reputation: Moustache rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    Im pretty sure you don't need a 10spd specific chainring. A nine speed ring will work. Same BCD on the crank and same tooth width on the rings.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nixgame22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Im pretty sure you don't need a 10spd specific chainring. A nine speed ring will work. Same BCD on the crank and same tooth width on the rings.
    See, this is exactly what I need confirmed. My LBS said a 9-speed chainring won't work correctly with the 10-speed chain, due to the internal width of the chain not being able to seat all the way on a 9-speed chainring.
    Maintain internal heights.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: illini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    355
    No Chainrings dont matter one bit. What matters is Shifter and Rear Derailleur. Shimano Chainrings are way overpriced. Your going to use a bashguard so the chainring will be hid. You wont know the difference between a raceface or shimano. jmo

  8. #8
    The Hutch
    Reputation: rob1208lv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,235
    I'm running 2x10 a 24t (xtr), 36t shimano slx chainring on a 9spd xtr crank with 10spd cassette.
    Just make sure to use a 9spd front shifter with a 9spd front D for the crankset. and 10spd everything else including the chain.

  9. #9
    RHRF!
    Reputation: titusbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv
    I'm running 2x10 a 24t (xtr), 36t shimano slx chainring on a 9spd xtr crank with 10spd cassette.
    Just make sure to use a 9spd front shifter with a 9spd front D for the crankset. and 10spd everything else including the chain.
    I concur. I am running a RF 22/32/Bash w/XTR 9sp FD, X.0 9sp front shifter, XT 10sp 11-36 cassette, X.9 10sp RD, X.9 10sp rear shifter, and Sram 1051 10sp chain - Shifts great!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •