Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Old & slow
    Reputation: kayakerjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    92

    New question here. Shimano XT Derailleur Question

    What is the difference between Shimano's XT M750 & M760 derailleurs? I have wanted to replace my Deore derailleur for a while & found the XT M750 for $40. I want to get this but I am nervous about it since this is the first time I have tried upgrading anything (i.e. newbie). I am assuming this is a simple bolt on, add new cable, & adjust. Is this correct or are their any surprises I should be aware of? I currently have Deore shifters & a Sram 970 cassette.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,200

    Could be model year?

    The Shimano web site only shows the 760. When you do a search for the 750, it says "no item found". If you can find a 750 for $40.00 new, I say buy it. The XT are very good derailleurs. As for installation, it's relatively simple. The hardest part is adjustments after you put it on to ensure smooth shifting. Check Sheldon Brown's website for instructions. Here's a link to derailleur installation and tuning:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

    Worse comes to worse, install it, and have a bike mechanic do the tuning.

    Best Wishes,

    Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjim
    What is the difference between Shimano's XT M750 & M760 derailleurs? I have wanted to replace my Deore derailleur for a while & found the XT M750 for $40. I want to get this but I am nervous about it since this is the first time I have tried upgrading anything (i.e. newbie). I am assuming this is a simple bolt on, add new cable, & adjust. Is this correct or are their any surprises I should be aware of? I currently have Deore shifters & a Sram 970 cassette.

    Thanks for any help.
    The difference I believe is in the spring. The M750's have the "high-normal" spring and the M760's have the "low-normal" spring. If you have Deore shifters, then the M750 is what you need.

  4. #4
    The devil is an angel too
    Reputation: FrozenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,303
    Quote Originally Posted by prevetdan
    The difference I believe is in the spring. The M750's have the "high-normal" spring and the M760's have the "low-normal" spring. If you have Deore shifters, then the M750 is what you need.
    High normal or low normal, the shifters are the same. "High normal" the big pad maks it go to a bigger cog, "Low normal" the big pad makes it go to a smaller cog (or the other way around, sometimes I mixed them up) The shifters are the same. If he is got Deore shifters any XT should work.

    I am with Clyde and believe it is the model year. It should work and be fairly easy to install. If your chain is old, you may want to throw a new one to make things easier.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

    Oscar Wilde

  5. #5
    1x9'er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    263
    Prevetdan has it right. We had the XT-750 and XT-760 side by side at the shop the other day and the 750 is the normal rise and 760 is the 'rapid-rise'. Since rapid-rise locates the derailuer on the big cog when there is no cable tension and normal rise locates it on the small cog with no cable tension, if the shifter is made for a regular derailuer and you use a rapid-rise one with it, the shifting will be in the opposite direction, but I would think it 'should' still shift it (haven't tried it to find out), though it may feel strange to use the 'upshift' trigger to downshift with and vice-versa. If the shifter has gear marking numbers on it, it would read #1 when the derailuer is on the 9th cog and vice-versa on down the line, except that gear #5 will still be the 5th cog since it's right in the middle (on a 9-speed).

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    High normal or low normal, the shifters are the same. "High normal" the big pad maks it go to a bigger cog, "Low normal" the big pad makes it go to a smaller cog (or the other way around, sometimes I mixed them up) The shifters are the same. If he is got Deore shifters any XT should work.

    I am with Clyde and believe it is the model year. It should work and be fairly easy to install. If your chain is old, you may want to throw a new one to make things easier.
    Yeah, the shifters will work with M760 but because it's low-normal then he'll have to learn to shift "backwards". My recommendation of the M750 was mostly due to his previous configuration which was high-normal and then the easiest (at least for my grouchy butt) would be to stick to what you know.

  7. #7
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,145

    Low-normal works best

    In my opinion shifting to a larger cog works much better with the normal-low (you force the gear in as opposite to let it slide in). That's why is called rapid rise.
    There is nothing more frustrating than trying to shift into a 34 and not being able to
    You can find the M760 for $18 more than the 750 (JensonUSA). I think it's worth the extra juice.
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    861

    High-normal works best

    In my opinion, I prefer shifting to the larger cogs with my thumb,
    and let the derailleur spring shift to the smaller cogs.

    Actually both types work great - it's more of a personal preference.

  9. #9
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,145

    Isn't that called low-normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    In my opinion, I prefer shifting to the larger cogs with my thumb,
    and let the derailleur spring shift to the smaller cogs.
    I think that's what I meant...
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

  10. #10
    The devil is an angel too
    Reputation: FrozenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,303
    Quote Originally Posted by prevetdan
    Yeah, the shifters will work with M760 but because it's low-normal then he'll have to learn to shift "backwards". My recommendation of the M750 was mostly due to his previous configuration which was high-normal and then the easiest (at least for my grouchy butt) would be to stick to what you know.
    As far as I know, there is no such thing as Rapid Rise shifters. You want a Rapid Rise-Low Normal rear derailleur, your shifters will work backwards. That's the way it goes when you buy a new bike and it comes with Rapid Rise-Low Normal. That's the main b!tchin going on wiht RR-LN, that they work backwards. So, it doesn't matter which shifters you have.

    PS: my wife's bike came with a Low Normal, guess what? the shifters work backwards.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

    Oscar Wilde

  11. #11
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,200

    grumbles

    This is one of the main reasons I use SRAM. I'm a pretty smart guy, but there's something to be said for simplicity. Too many confusing options and marketing ploys form Shimano, IMO. Get back to the basics please, you're losing people as a result.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  12. #12
    The devil is an angel too
    Reputation: FrozenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    This is one of the main reasons I use SRAM. I'm a pretty smart guy, but there's something to be said for simplicity. Too many confusing options and marketing ploys form Shimano, IMO. Get back to the basics please, you're losing people as a result.
    Actually, some may argue that RR-LN makes more sense, you push the BIG pad to go to a harder gear, you push the small pad to go to an easier gear, both front and rear.

    For what is worth, when I've used the Low Normal derailleur on my wife's bike, I didn't have any problems with it. It maybe took more focus on the shifting, pay more attention? but no misshaps. I didn't care for the reverse action (I like to jump several cogs to a larger one) but that's just me. I think that for racing it would make sense (when you get to the top of the hill you can go to a smaller cog faster) but not for me.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

    Oscar Wilde

  13. #13
    Chrome Toaster
    Reputation: Hecubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    Geez, so many replies and not a single straight answer. The difference between 750 and 760 is the model year and group generation. 760 XT is the latest generation of XT products also known as 2004 XT. The 760 is an evolutionary improvement over the 750. It rides further back to give more clearance on large 34t cassettes without having to jam the b tension screw all the way in. It has bigger, wider and stronger pivots. It also adopts the rapid rise function found before in XTR derailleurs. Rapid rise has NOTHING to do with the shifters. It is completely a function of the derailleur. What it means is the spring pulls in the other direction. Instead of pulling towards the small cogs it pulls towards the big. That does mean it will work oppsite to what you are used to now with the deore. The click action goes to the big cogs, the thumb paddle to the small. Its not rocket science. Really not that complicated as many people make it out to be (mainly those who have never used it). It has its advantages. I don't say it works "backwards" because there is no natural way for the spring to pull. Its a matter of preference.

  14. #14
    The devil is an angel too
    Reputation: FrozenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Geez, so many replies and not a single straight answer. (...) I don't say it works "backwards" because there is no natural way for the spring to pull. Its a matter of preference.
    That's cuz we don't know shizzle for the nizzle! and hey! clyde and I both said it was the model year!

    I do call it "backwards shifting" because for years it's been the other way and the other S derailleurs are high normal... but you are right, that's based on tradition, not because there is such thing as a natural way for the spring to pull.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

    Oscar Wilde

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 65Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    71
    I, too, am interested in the XT M750 - will it work with an 8 speed cassette and 8 speed deore shifters?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    179
    No problem with the 750 XT on 8 speed. I've run that combination for thousands of miles.

    Except for overall travel range of the derailleur, (ie, you shouldn't expect an old six speed RD to have enough travel range to go across the width of a 9spd cassette) the RD is shifter independent except for the LN/HN modes and some Durace shifters I believe.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    179
    Let me qualify that a little more. The width of RD pulleys might be slightly less on 9/10 speed RD's but going downward to 8 speed isn't going to be a problem, the other way (7-8 speed RD on 9/10 cassette) but even then, I think it would work without much issue.

  18. #18
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,594
    Well there have been a lot of answers to the original posters question, HOWEVER he did not clearly state which derailer he was speaking off, just M750 - he didn't say if it was FD-M750 (front) or RD-M750(rear).

    As Herbecus said it is basically the model/year . the M750 series was before the M760 (2004) series and the main difference lies in the rear derailer. In the RD-M750 when you shift to a larger cog (lower gear) you use your thumb, when you switch to a smaller cog (higher gear) you use your index finger, with the RD-M760 it is the opposite.

    If you're talking about the front derailer I don't know of any real differences, 'cept that the M760 now fits multiple sized tubes oh and it can work with up to a 48T chainring (but the price suggests rear) I will let anyone looking know that JensonUSA has the XT FD-M750 derailers for $19.50
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  19. #19
    Chrome Toaster
    Reputation: Hecubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    The 760 front besides now being a one size fits all setup by using shims also has the same overall design as the new XTR front. That means it has the same oversized pivots and wider linkages as well as a thicker cage. Its a considerable improvement over the flimsier 750.

  20. #20
    John Galt
    Reputation: cegrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    I do call it "backwards shifting" because for years it's been the other way and the other S derailleurs are high normal... but you are right, that's based on tradition, not because there is such thing as a natural way for the spring to pull.
    It's not just tradition, it's also the fact that any gear indicator on the right shifter will read in the opposite manner if you swap HN and LN rear derailleurs. If position 9 normally lets all the cable out to allow the spring to position the HN derailleur for the smallest cog, that 'no tension' position will now allow the LN derailleur to position itself for the largest cog, so indicated cog 9 will actually be what you knew previously as cog 1.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •