mtbr member

Shimano XT cranks with Blackspire Lite God?

Thinking of ditching my big ring on my AM rig for a light duty bash but never done it before so I need a little help. My cranks are XT M770 22-32-44, I was thinking of going 22- 34or36 then the Blackspire Lite God which says 104 BCD 4 bolt (36t).

Will this setup work and I just replace my middle ring with a 34 or 36? What spec am I looking for with these cranks to match a bash? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yes and yes. Just get the 104 BCD bashguard and whatever size middle ring you want, bolt it all up, and go ride. You may have to adjust your front derailleur.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    yup, should work.. may need to get new chain ring bolts as it may get thicker or thinner so you'll need a longer or shorter bolt/nut. contact Blackspire and ask them... I don't think it does change with their stuff but better to be safe than sorry.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I wanna do the same. What are the best, and available, aftermarket chain rings for an XT M770 crank?

I'm thinking 24-34-Bash.

Any input is appreciated.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    I was looking at the Blackspire SuperPro chainrings available in many sizes - anyone riding these with XT 9spd? Does it make a difference if my cassette, chain, rear D, and shifters are SRAM XO?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    ............ Does it make a difference if my cassette, chain, rear D, and shifters are SRAM XO?
    nope, the only real difference you can do wit your rear derailleur is if you had a 3x front and go to a 2x you can get a Mid cage rear Derailleur and shorten your chain... you don't need to, it'll shift fine as is, just saves a few ounces if that matters, oh, and a mid cage gives ya like an extra 1/2 inch ground clearance for the derailleur. But again, it's not needed
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Is it true that a XT front D (or any other for that matter) will only handle a max of a 12 tooth stepup? Meaning if I keep my 22t granny I can only go up to a 34t mid and not a 36t?

I was reading this in another thread, but nobody seemed to be positive if that was the case or not.

Does a 24-34 or a 24-36 make more sense for a 2x9 AM setup. I ride hilly socal trails almost exclusively. Usually at least one granny hill on every ride so I'm hesitant to loose my 22t.

mtbr member
    Alright, i just went ahead and ordered this setup for my M770 XT cranks:

Blackspire Lite God 36t max
    Blackspire SuperPro Chainring 64mm / 22t
    Blackspire SuperPro Chainring 104mm / 34t

All shipped for under a hundy. I'll just figure out if I need new chainring bolts once I get it. With the 36t max bash I figure I can play around with ring sizes and find the right combo somewhere in there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My blackspire bash came with the bolts
    2011 Vassago Bandersnatch HT 29er
    2013 Cannondale F29 1

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Is it true that a XT front D (or any other for that matter) will only handle a max of a 12 tooth stepup? Meaning if I keep my 22t granny I can only go up to a 34t mid and not a 36t?

I was reading this in another thread, but nobody seemed to be positive if that was the case or not.

Does a 24-34 or a 24-36 make more sense for a 2x9 AM setup. I ride hilly socal trails almost exclusively. Usually at least one granny hill on every ride so I'm hesitant to loose my 22t.
    well, it sorta can work,.. the thing is if you look at the bumps molded in the front derailleur cage they done in 3 sets (or 2 in some 2x10 designated front derails) they are actually kinda like channels for the chain. they are designed to have a particular location on the cranks rings line up with a certain height on the cage, plus they are designed to help lift and guide the chain onto the next ring when you shift...

If you go beyond the designed spacing and height you could end up with the chain in a in between placement in those bends and you'll get poor shifting and when you start shifting the rear the chain twist could end up causing rubbing even when only one or 2 gears in the rear off straight.. \
    Plus the bends are designed to lift the chain off the ring then move it over, even when down shifting the little bumps are designed to rub on the outer chain link edge and Lift the chain up and off the big ring before pushing it over and dropping it on the smaller. if you go beyond the lift design the chain will just be pushed over and not lifted which can twist teeth, wear them out faster and give crappy shifting.

don't know if my description made sense?
    Last edited by thomllama; 01-28-2012 at 05:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks thomllama, I know what you're saying and it does make sense. I'm going to try a 22-34 configuration first and see if how that works out, hopefully it doesn't give my front D fits.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    It should work fine, as long as you lower the derailleur to properly sit. Basically making the grannies replace the middle ring settings and the middle ring sitting where the large ring would ( based on me guessing youre using a 3ring standard derailleur). It's the same set up it would normally do. 32-44 tooth. 12 difference

mtbr member

Well, I don't know what it is supposed to handle, but I have an M770 that I yanked the 44 and 32, and replaced them with a Shimano 36. I kept the front derailleur in it's old position and just used the high-side setscrew to keep it from trying to go to the missing 44 ring. Shifts just great. Used it with an E13 bash, but just got some drilled BBGs that are better for my trailriding style.

Did the same with my other MTB, with an XTR crankset and front derailleur. Had to use shorter bolts for the chainrings, but had them handy from a 'take-off' crankset.

And yea, I'm not getting rid of my 22 either.
    Tzvia.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzvia View Post
    Well, I don't know what it is supposed to handle, but I have an M770 that I yanked the 44 and 32, and replaced them with a Shimano 36. I kept the front derailleur in it's old position and just used the high-side setscrew to keep it from trying to go to the missing 44 ring. Shifts just great. Used it with an E13 bash, but just got some drilled BBGs that are better for my trailriding style.

Did the same with my other MTB, with an XTR crankset and front derailleur. Had to use shorter bolts for the chainrings, but had them handy from a 'take-off' crankset.

And yea, I'm not getting rid of my 22 either.

Where did you find the Shimano 36? SLX?

Thanks

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    you could always try the PraxisWorks advertised on the side here in the forums.. says they are making a 24-36 set of rings... just buy the cranks you want and bolt them on...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stvberry View Post
    Where did you find the Shimano 36? SLX?

Thanks
    Oh gosh, it's been almost two years... I found them online at Universal, I think they were SLX, for the 2x crankset. No ramps/pins to shift to a 44.
    Tzvia.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    yes that setup is good so go for it