mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Shimano XT crank requires Shimano Chain? SRAM rear compatibility

I'm sure this is buried in this forum somewhere, but I didn't see it right off.

I have an SB95 that shipped with a SRAM 3x10 drivetrain. I've replaced the cassette with a SRAM X0 cassette.

I have never been happy with the crankset on this bike (it's an S-1000 or something?) - noisey, squealy, and has some play. I'd like to switch to a Shimano XT 3x10 crankset.

I see something on the crankset saying 'HG-X Chain Only'.

So a couple questions...

Will my SRAM 10 speed chain not work with this crankset, do I need to switch to a Shimano chain?

If so, will that Shimano chain get along fine with my SRAM cassette and rear/front derailleurs?

I'm thinking I might need to swap the chain, but everything else should work, but want to confirm.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You don't need to brand match chains with drive train. You only need to worry about drive train type (ie 8 speed, 9 speed, 10 speed, 11 speed) So you can freely use whatever brand chain you would like on your Shimano/SRAM drivetrain as long as they are the same speed.

usually cranky
    ^+1. just shimano trying to squeeze a buck out of you.

Plays with tools
    Shimano chains will shift better but are not necessary.

mtbr member
    I installed xt crankset on my bike and while I'm not a huge shimano fan all around, I give it thumbs up! Light, strong. No issues. I also used sram gear cluster and chain, works fine for me.

dwt
    mtbr member

IMO, any chain that doesn't use a quick link is a huge PIA. All my 10 speed chains are KMC. Road bike with Dura Ace front/ rear mech & Ultegra cassette; Tall Boy with XT front/ rear mech & cassette; Jamis 650B 2 with SRAM X9 crank, Wolf Tooth 30T direct mount ring; SRAM X0 type 2 rear mech, 1050 cassette (1X10).

Everything works fine; chains easy on and off. Due to unusually wet June in NE, I even started waxing my chains. W/O quick link, couldn't do this without undue effort.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I actually have used the KMC quick links on my SRAM chain, and they work fine.

Thanks for the replies - I was pretty sure that this was the case, but I wasn't sure if Shimano had actually gone and done something goofy this time.

I'll probably grab a new chain with the crankset just because the one I have on there is low end and heavy.

usually cranky
    ime as long as you get a 10 sp link with a 10 sp chain or whatever everything will work fine. i have been running sram powerlinks on my shimano chain forever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The SRAM 10 speed powerlinks I've had to destroy to get off before. I like the KMCs better because I can take them off and put them on without any issues.

usually cranky
    ^yeah, 10 sp powerlocks are meant for 1 use. if you are hellbent on reusing them you can open them with vice grips though.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    ^yeah, 10 sp powerlocks are meant for 1 use. if you are hellbent on reusing them you can open them with vice grips though.
    needle nose work better, or you can use a chain tool and drive the pin out of the power lock link.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Shimano chains will shift better but are not necessary.
    ^ Yep. Shimano XT chains are actually pretty good, but my favorites are KMC X9 or X10 SL. The KMC missing link is great to use on any chain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yup - XT cranks and SRAM OR KMC chains for me too.

Not sure what the best chainrings are though. I usually stick to the XT/SLX rings but did try the TA specialites chinooks to see if they were any longer lived, but I noticed no difference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've been running xt drivetrain 10 speed with Sram 1071 chain and the KMC connecting link for a few years now. No problems whatsoever. I carry the Sram Powerlink as a spare. The KMC link makes life so much easier....

Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post
    Yup - XT cranks and SRAM OR KMC chains for me too.

Not sure what the best chainrings are though. I usually stick to the XT/SLX rings but did try the TA specialites chinooks to see if they were any longer lived, but I noticed no difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've also been using SRAM chains on my full XT 10 speed bikes for a couple of years now. Honestly, I feel like they are quieter, last a bit longer, and I like the quick link. I haven't noticed any problems with my chainrings or cassette.

Strangely, when I bought my Superfly Elite with a full XT setup from Trek, and the XT chain on it had a SRAM quick link already installed.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    needle nose work better, or you can use a chain tool and drive the pin out of the power lock link.
    I just installed my first 10spd drivetrain, XT cassette, hg something chain, and used a SRAM powerlink. I was used to the 9 spd links that could be removed by hand and reused.

I like to remove my chain frequently for cleaning, add to that a few times out of necessity. Am I weakening the link by removing it repeatedly with needle nose?

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member

Re: Shimano XT crank requires Shimano Chain? SRAM rear compatibility

I use the Park Tool MLP-1 to remove and snap ring pliers to install. I use on KMC and sram 10spd link chains.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Yeti Big Top
    2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    1991 Cannondale m700

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I found the 10spd SRAM powerlinks to be very hard to remove as well. I switched to the KMC version and I am able to get them on and off by hand.

I think what you are most likely risking with removing them by plier is the link weakening and being more likely to break while in use... But if you carry a spare, it might not be much of an issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is there a significant difference between Shimano's HG95 and HG94 chains? There is a price difference, but which will last longer and shift better?