mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Shimano XT 780 triple cranks and the e*13 Turbocharger bash

Hello everybody and Happy New Year!

The situation is as follows. I'm about to get either the LG1 or the SRS (bash-enabled) chainguide. ATM I have an FSA Comet crankset, which can accomodate the e*13 SRS bash just fine. But, at the same time, I can get an XT 780 triple crankset, which is quite a but lighter than the FSA Comet.

So, the question is, will the SRS bash fit the XT 780 triple crank? The problem is that the chainset has funky-shaped tabs for the outer chain ring, (which is most probably an effort to stop people from using aftermarket rings from other manufacturers), so I'm not sure if that is going to work.

Anybody tried doing that already? I'd appreciate real-life experience.

P.S. Calling e*13 is most probably useless in my opinion, I expect a "use e*13 cranks, ditch that other brand" kind of reply. Or am I wrong?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It will work just fine. The spinder on those new XT is funky shaped, so it easy to confuse, but it is still standard 104/64 mm bcd.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well, even though it is 104/64, canit be that the spider arms (tabs) get in the way of a normal bashguard? I mean, they are kind of diagonal, or, better say, arc-shaped, and I'm afraid that the wide endof the arc (the one sticking out further away from the crank axle) will get in the way of the bash. Hope you understand what I mean.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hmm, it looks like this is a special bash model created to work with the 780 cranks right? The tabs on the bash are rounded and perfectly match those on the crank arms.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nope. Just a normal Straitline Serrated bash.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Indeed, I've had a look at some bashes and chain rings I got here and they are all convex at the tabs. Is that the standard?

Thank you for the hint uzurpator, I've always thought bashes and chain ring tabs are perfectly flat (square).