mtbr member

Shimano XT 2x10 - Does it matter if a 38 AM chainring is used instead of a 38 AK?

I recently had some work done at my usually very reliable LBS - among other things, I had really worn out the chain and was prepared to just replace the entire drivetrain. One reason I like the mechanic here is that he doesn't oversell - he recommended to just put on a new chain and see how it does - with the new chain I was still having issues in the large front ring, so we changed that and it was working ok but not perfectly crisp - we decided to just go with this for a while since I was strongly considering 1x in the near future so I appreciated trying to get as much mileage as possible out of my current setup - shortly after that, I dropped the chain riding down some pretty gnarly stuff and the chain bent and a couple of the teeth basically sheared down to nubs - still rides ok with a new chain but shifting isn't smooth.

I was bummed that I needed a new chain and ring again already - I looked up the part # to order a new ring and realized he had placed a 38 AM instead of a 38 AK - the 38 AM is supposed to go with a 24 small ring - I have the 26 small ring which is supposed to pair with the 38 AK.

My question(s):

Does it really matter that he placed the AM instead of AK? In other words, did he make a major mistake that maybe set me up for these potential failures / issues?

Is he correct that you don't necessarily need to replace the drivetrain when a chain gets completely worn down?

Can I safely ride this large ring with the damaged teeth or am I just going to have non-stop issues or mess up something else?

Thanks in advanced for your expertise!

Shimano XT 2x10 - Does it matter if a 38 AM chainring is used instead of a 38 AK?-photo.jpg

What could go wrong ...
    "Can I safely ride this large ring with the damaged teeth or am I just going to have non-stop issues or mess up something else?"

NO that needs to be replaced ASAP
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    "Can I safely ride this large ring with the damaged teeth or am I just going to have non-stop issues or mess up something else?"

NO that needs to be replaced ASAP
    Thanks for the quick response - I will replace ASAP - in fact I was hoping to find 1 today so I can ride tomorrow - I called around & couldn't find the exact ring in stock, but a shop said they had a compatible size in a different brand (forgot the brand though) - how important is it that it is that exact ring? as long as the dimensions are the same, will it work?

Thanks again!

What could go wrong ...
    if the bolt center diameter is the same it should work
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Perfect! - Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Update: Dammit! The ring was not the right one - can't seem to find this ring in stock anywhere local.

I was really looking forward to a ride tomorrow - would a mellow XC ride do any harm to other components? Or is it more an issue of just being a good idea because it can easily drop again?

Thank you.