Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shimano vs SRAM

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Shimano vs SRAM

Hi guys

I am a bit confused by the number of different versions in drive trains between shimano and SRAM. Shimano has basically 2 ( xt and xtr). SRAM has more (x9, xo, xx).
    At competitive cyclist, xo is about same price as xt. XX is more and finally xtr is most expensive.

Is there a good summary table outlining pros and cons of each set? Xtr is rather expensive, but would it be worth combining with some xt parts? Given price, is XO a better setup than XT?

Cheers

Former Bike Wrench
    Shimano =SRAM

XTR = XX/XO
    XT = X9
    SLX = X7
    Deore = X5
    Alivio = X4

There are more but that covers it for most riders

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by schlange
    Hi guys

I am a bit confused by the number of different versions in drive trains between shimano and SRAM. Shimano has basically 2 ( xt and xtr). SRAM has more (x9, xo, xx).
    At competitive cyclist, xo is about same price as xt. XX is more and finally xtr is most expensive.

Is there a good summary table outlining pros and cons of each set? Xtr is rather expensive, but would it be worth combining with some xt parts? Given price, is XO a better setup than XT?

Cheers
    Whether SRAM or Shimano is better is mostly personal preference. Both work well, in slightly different ways.

I have trouble justifying buying anything higher than X-9/XT level and even X-7/SLX works great.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 for they both work well and X9/XT is more than adequate for the vast majority.

Been using XTR cassettes lately for less weight and reduced stress on freehub body (waited until sale prices le$$ened the PAIN); otherwise SRAM drive train and chains on both my 29er's. D'oh- I just put an XTR chain on my DS bike come to think of it I ride it like 75% of the time.

I have X7 everything on my HT and primarily X9 (X7 F der.) on my DS. Both work just fine through ~500 miles of riding so far this year and somewhere around 1300+ miles last year.

Ford vs. Chevy.

I run all Shimano on my bikes, and everything works PERFECTLY. But I will admit that the machined surfaces on Sram components make my Shimano gear look like Tinker Toys. My solution is that I don't park my bike close to Sram equipped bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron
    Ford vs. Chevy.

I run all Shimano on my bikes, and everything works PERFECTLY. But I will admit that the machined surfaces on Sram components make my Shimano gear look like Tinker Toys. My solution is that I don't park my bike close to Sram equipped bikes.
    well said lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I hate sram triggers, push/push just doesn't do it for me. I love grip shifts and shimano triggers.
    The xx trigger is the exception for sram shifters. The adjustable position of the upshift trigger is the best feature sram has come out with in a long time. Hope it trickles down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmonkey
    I hate sram triggers, push/push just doesn't do it for me. I love grip shifts and shimano triggers.
    The xx trigger is the exception for sram shifters. The adjustable position of the upshift trigger is the best feature sram has come out with in a long time. Hope it trickles down.
    My xo shifters have it.

mtbr member
    I personally cant stand shimano shifters, think the whole trigger thing is garbage sram xo for me im affraid easy to set up very direct and stays that way. the shifters are the best available in my opinion push push and in the perfect position, rear mech is also superb and very easy to set. i would never go to shimano again i have it in my DH bike and cant wait to get rid of it.

mtbr member
    Like others have said, I dont think you can really go wrong with either choice. I have a hodge podge of sram/shimano stuff on my 3 bikes- road, cross, and mtb. They all seem to do fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I love both and run both on both my bikes, but I lean towards shimano. Can't complain about the Saints.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Run both and like them both. Have to give the edge to Sram. Not because it shifts better. Just like the shifters a little better. And that could be familiarity. I have my controls set with shifters closer to the grips (for one finger braking) And rotated so I can push with my thumb and pull with my middle finger, without changing hand position too much.
    As far as X9 vs XO goes. The XO has a more positive feel. Again my perception. However,on the trail when theres a lot going on. You'd be hard pressed to notice a difference.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I have full XTR on one bike and XO/X9 on the 29er. I really like the Shimano triggers a little better than the SRAM, but like others have said I too think it's just because of familiarity...both will get the job done.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If your on a budget, and trying to upgrade your ride, is it better to go with Sram or Shimano?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tealtrack View Post
    If your on a budget, and trying to upgrade your ride, is it better to go with Sram or Shimano?
    It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Last year when I built my Lenz I was able to get a complete 2010 9spd X0 drivetrain for less than a 2011 X9 drivetrain. I ended up going that way because the crankset I was interested in (RaceFace) wasn't going to be available. I'll probably put another year on this equipment and then look at upgrading.

LightJunction.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    Ford vs. Chevy.
    There's something funny about comparing Japanese drivetrain components to American cars...but well-said nonetheless. People have been debating Shimano vs SRAM for years and no one's come out with a definitive answer, and honestly they probably never will. Most of it is preference. As for ponying up for XTR...unless you're racing a lot, XT or X9 should be more than enough. Sure, they're slightly heavier and slightly less technologically advanced, but they're the true workhorses in my opinion.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Mountain Man Dan
    Best quote of the thread.

But I will admit that the machined surfaces on Sram components make my Shimano gear look like Tinker Toys. My solution is that I don't park my bike close to Sram equipped bikes.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I ride both, full XT on the XC bike and sram on the dh. To me the shimano stuff feels more solid, but the shifting on the sram x9s on the dh bike are way faster but feel "flimsier" like i could break it off or something.

mtbr member
    I have all XO on one bike and all XTR on the other. Well, not all XTR...I run a SRAM chain and XX cassette.

I actually prefer the XTR but they both perform nicely.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    is it worth to spend the money on a xtr, 1080 or xx cassette? are there much more weight savings with xt or sram 1070 cassettes?

MC MasterShake
    XT/X.9 or SLX/X.7 are a pretty solid level of components. XTR/X0/XX are lighter and are slightly more refined. If you ride hard enough to brake drivetrain parts then you'll want to go with the lower level parts. I remember snapping an XO der. 1 week after putting it on. I was very glad I got it used.

As far as Shimano vs. Sram goes Shimano has the Shadow der which doesn't stick out like the SRAM does. This is fantastic if you live in rocky areas. I used to go through a der. a season and 3 or 4 hangers a season. I've had my Shadow der for 2+ years now and no damaged hangers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    is it worth to spend the money on a xtr, 1080 or xx cassette? are there much more weight savings with xt or sram 1070 cassettes?
    Based on what I've read (I haven't used XX so I can't speak for how it feels) unless you are using all the components (shifters, deraileurs, crankset, cassette and chain) it is not worth using them as they are engineered to work together. I've ridden various Shimano components over the years and personally don't like the way they shitft/feel. Part of that is because of their 2:1 actuation ratio vs. the direct 1:1 of the SRAM. I've ridden X.7, X.9 and X.0 components and can vouch that they all work very well, and as you move up the line I've noticed that there is a little more refinement in each. If you're concerned about weight, but don't necissarily want the replacement cost of the X.0, go with X.9, or even mix X.7 shifters and front derailleur with X.9 rear. There is nothing wrong with mixing components, as long as yo ustick to SRAM or Shimano throughout except in the case of front derailleurs.

One thing I will say is that I wrecked during a vacation to the U.P. of Michigan last year snapping the barrel adjuster off my X0 shifter. Not only was I able to continue riding/shifting without issue (not possible with Shimano from what I've been told), I was able to get a replacement adjuster. In fact, I didn't even notice that the barrel adjuster was broken off until I was home cleaning my bike. My understanding with the Shimano shifters is that if you break a part off the XT/XTR shifters not only do things get a bit out of wack but you can't always replace the broken part costeffectively.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have peasant grade SRAM X5 group. Today I went OTB and my rear derailleur ended up in my spokes. I literally yanked it out once and miraculously hit the sweet spot and didnt miss a shift for the entire rest of the ride. I dont know if I was just lucky or what, but I am happy with my setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My bike came mix matched. Sram shifters, sram rear deraileur, shimano cassete and shimano front deraileur.. then they decide to put a p.o.s suntour crankset on witch is going to a raceface evolve this week. But i like both shimano and sram. Gotta love rockshox too thats a sram product. Those things can take a real beating!

Mountain Biking Newbie
    Feb 2012
    Might pick up a new bike and it comes with X7 shifters....but on a test ride on another bike, I prefer the SLX shifters since I can use my thumb and index fingers to up/down shift. Anyone else share the same opinion? Seems like it would be faster to shift on the SLX. This new bike is my first upgrade in a long long time....coming from grip shifters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast