mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shimano to SRAM X.7/X.9?

I have Shimano Rapidfires, XT front derailleur and LX front. Well, they just don't feel that smoothly and I have to work them like crazy sometimes. Anyway, if I want to use SRAM X series, what all do I have to change and do they work differently- will I have to get used to some reverse shifting or anything like that?

Will I need new shifters, cables, etc? The only other thing to do would be to get an XT rear der and be done with it- maybe some really nice cables. What should I do?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Honestly, if you are having shifting issues with an XT/LX set up like that I would say that you either need new cables and housing or it is out of tune. I personally run SRAM stuff but XT is also very good IMO, I intsall it on a lot of bikes for people with no problems. If you decide you want to switch to SRAM stuff you will need a new rear derailleur and new shifters. Still considering the cost, you may want to look into new cables and housing if your current cable/housing set up is over 6 months to a year old depending on how muddy it is where you ride, before you decide to swap to SRAM stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds more like you a) need to have your shifters readjusted b) you want to change to sram not because what you have now is presently worn out, but are being sold that sram is the in thing.

Just fyi any shifting system will need adjustments and if you don't do regular maintenance and keep things clean they'll need it sooner rather than later.

When you switch for no really good reason you can use the same cables, but if they're old you may want to replace them and the housing. The x.? shifters require the same sram 1:1 rear derailleur system to work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would not call SRAM "the in thing". SRAM stuff works very well and after using an XT/XT setup and an X.9/X.9 setup I would pick the SRAM stuff anyday. That said it is mostly the shifters I like and am pretty pleased with my rocket shifters and XT der setup as well. It is mostly personaly preference but I have had a lot less adjustment issues with the SRAM 1:1 stuff than I ever did with my XT shifters and der.

That all said everyone is right if you are just having a few problems cables and adjustment may fix it. But if you want to try out something new I can certainly recommend SRAM X.9 components.

You could always put SRAM attack or SRAM rockets (both 2:1 shifters) with your current XT der and see how that works for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You just don't understand "the in thing". It's not that it works any better or worse than shimano. It's just what all those who like to claim they dislike a megacorp cling to as their way of semi rebellion. Of course just about everything else they own is mfr by a megacorp, but who's counting?

Some day I'll give them a try, but not because of shimano or any other shallow, totally false reason for doing so. I'll do it for no other reason than because it exists to try.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    But that is just it. I've used both, In fact all 3 and you just mentioned you've not yet tried SRAM. What you are saying is you aren't using SRAM cause others really like it and you see it as a bandwagon movement? I have used and still own these setups: SRAM/SRAM, Shimano/Shimano, SRAM/Shimano. It isn't an anti Shimano thing but an honest difference between a 1:1 ratio shifter and a 2:1 shifter. I can tell a difference in the ratios feel amoung other great features SRAM has. Thumb only shifters rule once you get use to them but that is personal preference. After saying I have used all 3 my lastest purchase for my commuter bike was a Shimano XT Rapid Rise and SRAM Rockets. They are really nice and I can live with 2:1 shifters as long as they are the thumb shifters. This isn't hype or "the in thing" just honest preferences after trying them all.

None of the options are junk and I have no dislike for Shimano as a company. In fact my next purchase will be a new 2004 XT Crank and my current bike has many Shimano things on them. I just like stuff that is comfortable and works well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Triggers...

Had a rental at Whistler for a couple of days with X.9, with X.9 rear derallieur. I really liked the thumb for high and low shifting. No learning curve, the change was easy and seamless.
    Not sure how the shimano compatable ones would feel since they aren't 1:1.