mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Shimano - Sram brake compatibility

I recently snapped the rear shifter off my handlebars in a spill, so I need at least that shifter replaced. I am currently running Sram x.9 derailleurs and x.5 shifters as well as avid juicy brakes and levers. I have been looking at Shimano saint and other Shimano DC levers but was wondering about there compatibility with Avid brakes and Sram derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    sorry bud, almost nothing you mention there is compatible

the shimano brakes use mineral oil vs avids DOT type
    the shimano shifter will not work with the sram X9 rd

note: the left shimano shifter will work fine with a sram FD, but you'll still be out on the brake score

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks slidecontrol.

So just to clear things up, for my x9 RD I will need another sram specific shifter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by applecakes
    Thanks slidecontrol.

So just to clear things up, for my x9 RD I will need another sram specific shifter?
    Yes that is correct. Your best best I think would be to replace your broken shifter with something a little nicer than the X.5, perhaps the X.7 or X.9.

SRAM makes both SRAM rd specific shifters as well as ones that will work with a Shimano rd (believe the Shimano compatible series is called Attack). The shifter broke but the brake lever came out fine?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think I am going to go with the x.9 as a replacement, but was wondering if there is a significant difference in quality or durability between that and the x.0? Do I have any options for a more durable model such as an equivalent of the Saint line?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    anyone?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    IMO the x.o is gonna be a lot more money for a little weight gain, like XT vs. XTR...no significant gains in durability, just weight loss without durability loss....If youre not trying to shed lbs, go with the x.9....

How durable are you trying to go? Are you just an XC rider that takes an occasional spill or are you riding more FR stuff? Ive never used any Saint stuff so cant really comment on that, but usually if you hit anything on the bar the wrong way itll break...may also want to check your torque specs, if you tighten levers properly a lot of times theyll slide instead of breaking, whereas if you overtighten them they cant move...