le brewmastere
    Nov 2009

Shimano SLX vs. Race Face Deus XC

Hey guys,

Just purchased a 2009 Giant Trance X2 to replace my SC Chameleon I've been riding for that last few years... I recently upgraded the Chameleon w/ a SLX crankset and the Giant comes stock with a Race Face Deus XC. I'm considering swapping. Both cranks are in great condition. The SLX weighs 889g and the RF XC 814g so were talking .16lb difference. I've heard people talk trash on the RF BB's so im leaning towards the swap.

Any thoughts on this? What would you do?

Thanks,
    Nico
    Nico Chiarito
    -le brewmastere-

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I had a similar issue. Had a pretty decent LX crank and then bought a bike that came with the Deus. I wasn't sold at first, but I have not had any issues with the Deus. I would suggest running it as is for the time being and see what you think. No point in going to the bother of swapping them out if you don't have to.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't over think it. Both are good, both are strong, both are light

As for the BB's they use the same design and sizing and each brand's cranks can be run on the other brand's BBs. The problem with the Race Face BB is only in the quality of the stock cartridge bearing, but neither stock bearings will last you forever anyway. When they do go bad, just have a shop press in some new Enduro bearings for a cheap upgrade or replace the whole thing with a nice King BB or something similar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    The problem with the Race Face BB is only in the quality of the stock cartridge bearing . . .
    And that they have gone out of business if warranty issues arise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees
    And that they have gone out of business if warranty issues arise.
    True, but he already owns the Race Face and it doesn't sound like he's trying to get rid of either but is just trying to put the best pieces on the main bike.

le brewmastere
    Nov 2009
    Hey, thanks for the advice and replies! I think I will just stick with the stock Race Face crankset. The bike is ridin' smooth right now so why mess with it. Good to know about the BB bearing replacement.

SO STOKED ON THIS BIKE!
    Nico Chiarito
    -le brewmastere-

I should be studying...
    Just thought I would chime in and and make you feel better about your cranks. I have been riding Deus cranks for years and have gotten adequate life out the RF BBs. The trick to getting maximum life out of any BB is to use the smallest amount of preload that eliminates side-side play. Race Face developed a bad reputation because the install on their earlier cranks was not the most intuitive and thus everyone was crushing their bearings. The race rings shift superbly and last a long time. In my opinion, Deus-->SLX is a down grade.

I'm very sad to see the demise of Race Face.
    Formerly known as iceaxe