mtbr member

Shimano SLX Shadow Plus + RD

Hoping to go buy the new SLX M675 Shadow Plus + rear derailleur tomorrow for my Trance X2. Got an XT M773 fitted at the moment but it tends to bounce around and my chain often jumps off the chain ring on my way down rougher trails.

Anyone got any experience or thoughts on the derailleur and the Plus system?
    Also I have a SGS long cage fitted, do I stick to the SGS or go medium cage GS? What would the pro's and con's be of going GS?

10 Speed

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Shimano SLX Shadow Plus + RD

What are you running for a crank?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Running standard equipment 2011 SLX Shimano 3x10 crank, SLX front derailleur, XT rear derailleur (22-33-44t front and 11-36t back)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Shimano SLX Shadow Plus + RD

You need the sgs so you have enough chain wrap ability since you running a triple crank

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

reading comprehension wat
    I had this question before and after asking around and researching I got the impression that GS is just to save weight if you were running a narrower gear range (1x10 or certain 2x10 setups) and that the cage's job is to simply take up chain slack and tension the chain, with a longer cage able to take up more chain slack. It's the upper pulley that shifts the chain from gear to gear, and that's in the same position regardless of cage length. Who's to say they use the same strength spring for tension in both, with people speculating that shorter cages put more tension on the chain, and is more tension actually good for drivetrain life and pedaling noise? I heard that SGS (long cage) is the more compatible type, and if in doubt, go SGS. For a triple crank, definitely go SGS.

As for the Plus, the tension clutch mech, I hear nothing but good things about it for keeping the drivetrain quiet from chain slap related noise and helps keep the chain from falling off the bottom of the chainring. My chain falls off my HT's FSA crankset all the time with a XO 10 spd RD without a clutch, but I usually can just pedal it back on. I do find that the chain drop is really annoying is when I try to get a whole lot of momentum going into a climb, and it falls off after crossing a few ruts or whatever, and I'd be willing to upgrade to a clutch derailleur just to remedy that.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feed back. Hope the stock they are keeping for me is the SGS then, as the guy on the phone didn't know to much.

AS "dv8xin" said the chain drop gets annoying, I can deal with the chain slap noise (ok on my old xc bike the slap noise was excessive) but on a single track you want to try keep momentum and the drop just messes with your flow.

I'll give some feedback once I've tried out the setup