mtbr member
    May 2009

Shimano SLX M660 vs M670 crank?

Hi all, I'm rebuilding my drivetrain and decided on a mix of SLX and XT components. I wanted to try 2x10 but do some road riding to get to trails, so I decided to stick with the 3x10. After a lot of reading, the SLX crank seems like a pretty good bang for the buck. Is there any difference between the M660 and M670? Jenson has the M660 (without BB) for $89 and Chain Reaction has the M670 (with BB) for $170. Is there any reason to choose one over the other?

banned
    Jan 2012
    Nearly the same arms, and the M670 is for 10sp, I would go with M660 as it also works with 10 speed.

mtbr member
    There is also a 10 speed version of the M660, that's what Jenson is selling minus the BB (there is a -10 on the arms by the part number). I am not aware of any significant performance gains between either and I prefer the M660 look.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the info!

As a follow up: The 3x10 is a 42/32/24 setup. I've got 26" wheels and I ride mostly XC with a few steep hills (no real mountains near me). Is there any reason to go with a 11-36t cassette? Or will I be OK with 11-34t? I searched for this beforehand but it seemed a lot of questions dealt more with 2x10.

mtbr member
    It's hard to judge if you would need the 36, I am larger, 215 or so and ride a 5" trail bike with a 24/36/bashguard crank and 11/34 in the rear and I have not missed the 36th, I climb mostly in 2nd gear which I believe is a 30 tooth. What are you riding with now and do you feel the need for the lower gearing?

banned
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    I prefer the M660 look.
    True, I hate the new Shimano designs, The old M950 and M750 cranks were very nice to look at IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm 6'2" and 180 lbs and ride a hardtail bike. Right now I've got a 42/32/22 crank with an 11-32 cassette. I don't really do a lot of extended climbing, maybe on a trip or two a year but that's about it. Otherwise things are relatively flat. I ran the numbers through Sheldon Brown's gear calculator and think I'll be OK with the 11-34 with the new 42/32/24 crank. Looks like the 11-36 would give me more climbing advantage but I honestly don't think I ever go all the way down to the 22/32 combo that I have now.

P.S. I'm kind of a see it to believe it person, so running those numbers through the gear calculator really showed me the merit of a 2x10 setup. I'll keep that in mind for further down the road...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    First of all you need to know if your BB is compatible with the SLX crankset. Otherwise you need to buy a BB too.
    If you will use a 3 chainrings crankset I believe that you wouldn't need a 36-11 cassette. Usually, the riders only used this type of cassette when they use 2 chainrings crankset...

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks, I'm going to go with the 11-34t. It looks like I'm gonna need the BB as well. I called the mfg and the bike has a 73mm English threaded frame, so the SM-BB70 used with the SLX cranks should fit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    According to Shimano site SM-BB70 is the correct one...

During the assembling of the crankset, it's necessary to be careful with the spaces... The frame with 73mm you should use only one spacer... I think... Please read the manual, they have all explained...

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks again for the confirmation, I'm fanatical about reading/following manuals so I shouldn't have a problem there

mtbr member
    May 2009
    OK here I go again, the engineer in me has to ask lots of questions...
    I'm trying to match a front derailleur to the M660 crank and want to make sure I get the right chainline spec. I read that it would be a good idea to go with a better/stiffer/more robust front derailleur, so I was looking at the Shimano XT-M780 FD. Its chainline spec is 48.8mm while the M660 crank specifies a 50mm chainline. Is the difference negligible?
    The SLX M670 front derailleur specifies a 50mm chainline, should I call it good enough and go with the SLX FD instead of the XT? I was going to assume that it's all Shimano 3x10 components so they should all work, but figured it's easier to ask now than have problems later.

Members who have read this thread: 6