the giant.

shimano slx good for dj?

i am in dire need for a new crankset for my dj bike. i have raceface ride dh cranks now, but the pedal insert is all messed up. ive thought about getting bmx cranks ($180 to convert over), but i just saw a thread that mentioned the slx cranks..they are an all mtn crank, but will they hold up to dj, street, and some dh (when im feeling crazy)??

they are also 999g, and my ride dh's are 1330g (from memory), so the weight itself would be a bonus too..

oh. and i will be running single speed. will my raceface bashguard be transferable to the slx cranks? (i found a slx set for $105, but it was the triple ring)

edit: i just read that the slx m660 doesnt have a steel pedal insert that the slx m665 does. is this true? or is the only difference that the m665 comes with a bash guard?
    Last edited by gbosbiker; 03-04-2010 at 07:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think the 2-ring version of SLX would be ok for what you want. They are not a super-burly DH or FR crank, but if you jump mainly on properly created ramps (ie no big landings to flat) then they will probably last ok.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gbosbiker
    i am in dire need for a new crankset for my dj bike. i have raceface ride dh cranks now, but the pedal insert is all messed up. ive thought about getting bmx cranks ($180 to convert over), but i just saw a thread that mentioned the slx cranks..they are an all mtn crank, but will they hold up to dj, street, and some dh (when im feeling crazy)??

they are also 999g, and my ride dh's are 1330g (from memory), so the weight itself would be a bonus too..

oh. and i will be running single speed. will my raceface bashguard be transferable to the slx cranks? (i found a slx set for $105, but it was the triple ring)

edit: i just read that the slx m660 doesnt have a steel pedal insert that the slx m665 does. is this true? or is the only difference that the m665 comes with a bash guard?
    I have the triple slx set up with 1x9 and there are no steel pedal inserts. The doube slx does come with inserts, probably what you want for your type of riding.

the giant.
    alright.

what's another affordable sturdy crankset with steel pedal insets that are under $150??

yeah it still hurts...
    Oct 2009
    ummmmmm, i got a truvativ hussefelt 2.2 crank (the one with 22/32/bash combo) not quite sure if its got the steel inserts but i do the same kinda riding as you and theyve held up fine. 80 bucks at Jenson USA.
    who put that tree there?

the giant.
    i was looking around in the buysell area of pinkbike, and found a solid set of bmx cranks with the bb and a 32t chainwheel for $90 shipped. the funny part was, if i was going to buy bmx cranks, i wouldve bought those, and it wouldve been almost $170 before shipping to convert to bmx..

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedanewbike
    ummmmmm, i got a truvativ hussefelt 2.2 crank (the one with 22/32/bash combo) not quite sure if its got the steel inserts but i do the same kinda riding as you and theyve held up fine. 80 bucks at Jenson USA.
    yes they do have an insert. i was thinking about the hussefelts, but they are heavy (for me), and they dont come with the bb. (another $30 or so)

yeah it still hurts...
    Oct 2009
    haha yeah def heavy but tuff cheap:strong:light pick two
    who put that tree there?

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    The SLX double has a stronger spindle and the steel pedal inserts. You can get either of the SLX cranksets for $116 at Chain Reaction right now.