mtbr member

Shimano SL-M750 New Cable Won't Grab

I was moving these XT (SL-M750) shifters to another bike. They worked great before uninstalling from the old frame. After threading a new cable to the left shifter, I gently applied tension to the cable and shifted to ensure everything worked correctly. It didn't. The shift levers click and move the indicator smoothly, but the cable has not been captured by the internal mechanism.

Thinking something was not well with the left, I tested the right side shifter the same way and got the same result. I have the same shifters on another bike as well, so this is not my first time performing this install. I can't imagine that the pods broke in the five feet from one bike to the next. That said, I'm not immune to user error.

What did I do? What do I try next? Thanks!

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dmg
    Thinking something was not well with the left, I tested the right side shifter the same way and got the same result.
    if you've re-cabled both shifters and they both don't work it sounds like you've done something wrong. assuming not rapidrise, you need to make sure the front shifter is in granny and the rear shifter is in 9 (small cog). if rapidrise the rear needs to be in 1 (big cog).

mtbr member

User Error...Duh

Figured it out. Took the shifter off the bar and wait for it...used my eyes. Yes, the shifters have to be in the right position. Thought I had it right, but it was late last night, so I can only conclude that I didn't.

I think the poster above has it right. Follow directions.