mtbr member

Shimano shifters on Sram drivetrain

Call me an idiot, but I really like to see what gear I am in without having to look down at my wheels... So I am not digging the SRAM shifters...

I plan on replacing them with Shimano SL-M591 shifters... and a new rear derallieur Shimano RD-M593...

Is there any other parts I should replace ? I am hoping that is all I need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sram and Shimano cassette spacing is the same so as long as you replace both the levers and RD the rear shifting will be fine.

The front derailleur may be an issue, but I don't know offhand. Shimano front derailleurs index, so the pull ratio must be correct (or close) and the Sram may not space out correctly. In your shoes, I'd wait and see unless someone reliable confirms that it is definitely non-compatible.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Former Bike Wrench
    SRAM 3x front derailleurs work fully with Shimano shifters...not sure about the 2x models

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    SRAM 3x front derailleurs work fully with Shimano shifters...not sure about the 2x models

sorry for my ignorance... 3x=3 speed with 3 chain rings ?

my bike has x5 sram derallieurs.
    TRAIL SL 29'ER 2

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by VBrakesAndBarEnds View Post
    sorry for my ignorance... 3x=3 speed with 3 chain rings ?

my bike has x5 sram derallieurs.
    TRAIL SL 29'ER 2
    Correct

Your bike has the 3x so it should work with Deore 3 x 10 speed shifters.

mtbr member
    thanks for all your help

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Problem is they are 9 speed I need 10 speed

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by VBrakesAndBarEnds View Post
    Problem is they are 9 speed I need 10 speed
    ahhh you're screwed then
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Similar issue- I got the bike wanting to upgrade components later, for sure the RD from the SRAM X3 thats on it to a Shimano Acera or Altus or whatever the newer one is called. My rear shifter (a SRAMX3) is totally wrecked, and my deraileur may or may not be. So the question is- will everything be compatible if a put a new Shimano RD and shifter on, while keeping the SRAM on the fronts, and then swapping those out at a later date. Right now the bike is totally FUBAR'd and I want to get it back up and running ASAP, so if I need to just replace whats already on it for now and upgrade the whole system later I will, but if I can make it a Frankenbike, and still work that'd be awesome

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonman0811 View Post
    Similar issue- I got the bike wanting to upgrade components later, for sure the RD from the SRAM X3 thats on it to a Shimano Acera or Altus or whatever the newer one is called. My rear shifter (a SRAMX3) is totally wrecked, and my deraileur may or may not be. So the question is- will everything be compatible if a put a new Shimano RD and shifter on, while keeping the SRAM on the fronts, and then swapping those out at a later date. Right now the bike is totally FUBAR'd and I want to get it back up and running ASAP, so if I need to just replace whats already on it for now and upgrade the whole system later I will, but if I can make it a Frankenbike, and still work that'd be awesome
    just keep the sram, it'll be cheaper, and in the lower end stuff it's usually better. But if you jus like the Shimano setup better, yes, as long as the rear shifter and derailleur are the same brand and speeds as the cassette(8 speed cassette with 8 speed shifter, 9 speed cassette with 9 speed shifter) it'll work

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the help! When I bought it I test rode a couple of bikes. The shimano der.s felt like the shifted so much more smoothely and without hesitation. I have had alot of problems with this bike already. I went through 3 tubes before I realize the rim tape didn't quite cover all the burs on the metal by the valve stem hole. Even after getting the FD tuned, it took an act of god to get it into granny gear for steeper climbs. On the bright side I have learned to change tires quickly, and to pay attention to my crank and know the noise it makes when the chain skips the gear and is pinched between the gear and bottom bracket lol.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Thanks for the help! When I bought it I test rode a couple of bikes. The shimano der.s felt like the shifted so much more smoothely and without hesitation. I have had alot of problems with this bike already. I went through 3 tubes before I realize the rim tape didn't quite cover all the burs on the metal by the valve stem hole. Even after getting the FD tuned, it took an act of god to get it into granny gear for steeper climbs. On the bright side I have learned to change tires quickly, and to pay attention to my crank and know the noise it makes when the chain skips the gear and is pinched between the gear and bottom bracket lol.
    sounds to me like it needed proper setup.... if the shifting on SRAM is sluggish it's usually the B screw improperly set, and if the front is dropping inside it's more than likely the stop setting is off or it's not straight to the cranks, but it can still drop off if hit wrong.... just should be few and far between

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Maybe I just got a defective one? 3 times to two different shops. "Yea man, it should shift fine now". Or maybe I'm messing up the shift somehow??!? I don't know what the deal is, I just know that I have been relatively displeased with the SRAM X3s. The Shimano's that I test rode seemed so much sturdier, and really pop into gear nicely. Same story with my room mate's bike. But for what its worth, that's been my experience. Not with the brand, just the X3's

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Maybe I just got a defective one? 3 times to two different shops. "Yea man, it should shift fine now". Or maybe I'm messing up the shift somehow??!? I don't know what the deal is, I just know that I have been relatively displeased with the SRAM X3s. The Shimano's that I test rode seemed so much sturdier, and really pop into gear nicely. Same story with my room mate's bike. But for what its worth, that's been my experience. Not with the brand, just the X3's
    again, check the B screw, also make sure your chain is the right length, and cables are all run correctly with nothing unwound or pinched...

Get a book to help you go over it, the Parks Big blue bike book is really good and is beginner friendly, can also just hit their site for a lot of info and pictures...

The X3 is pretty much SRAM's bottom of the line, and you will notice a snappier shift feel with better shifters,... but it's no worse than a Alivio

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Tomllama. I'm new to it so about half of that was greek to me. I gathered "make sure everythings set right". Ill check out that book for sure, because bike tech's hourly rates are killin me lol