reading comprehension wat

Shimano rear shifters - Cheapest version with multi-release?

Anyone know what's the most affordable, yet still reliable, Shimano shifter that has multi-release? It's the feature that least you shift to a higher gear 2 clicks at a time, not to be confused with the Two-way release lever (push-or-pull trigger).

JensonUSA seems to say this SLX 660 shifter set has it, but I don't think it's accurate. I doubt the Zee shifter has it either. I know for sure the XT 780 shifter has it (dunno if the 770 has it). Highly doubt the Deore shifter has it.

mtbr member
    I have the M591, M660 and M780, only the XT M780 has the feature you are looking for. The M770 did not have it, but some folks were able to successfully mod a 9-speed version to for 2 shifts. I never heard anyone do that to a M770 10-speed shifter.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Zee and it has it. I can't vouch for reliability, looks pretty flimsy but works well- so far. $34 @ Blue Sky.

mtbr member
    Are you sure Zee has it, from all I read it's basically SLX. Most Shimano shifters shift 3 or so going to a larger cog, but from what I have seen, only XT & XTR will go 2 gears at a time to smaller cogs. For that, I would think Zee would also need instant release. The specs don't say it, but you never know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    Are you sure Zee has it, from all I read it's basically SLX. Most Shimano shifters shift 3 or so going to a larger cog, but from what I have seen, only XT & XTR will go 2 gears at a time to smaller cogs. For that, I would think Zee would also need instant release. The specs don't say it, but you never know.

Guess I got my multi vs 2-way release systems crossed, thought I remembered them claiming it was multi something in the specs. Mine only goes 2 gears bigger at a time.

mtbr member
    It would have been neat if they did though, I actually like the feel of SLX level better than my XT, but like instant release and multi-release.

mtbr member
    The shimano site says that the 660s have 2 way release: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830677284.pdf

And this Deore version also seems to have it too: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830638324.pdf

I have a Deore version that works well and has been reliable.

There may be others.

Tim

mtbr member
    My XT M730 are able to switch 2, or 3, gears at a time. There is a switch to set this up. You are correct in that only these two (& XTR) are able to do what you want.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    The OP is asking about multi-release, which is an upshift (from larger cog to smaller cog/ higher gear) which I have only seen on XT, XTR and Saint. This is not the same feature that has been available for years on most models where 2 through in some case 4 shifts are available going from smaller to larger cogs. Also, 2-way has been on Deore since 2008/M530 and above, Zee, SLX, LX M580, and XT760 and above (I think I have that right, but don't know much about anything older, my M750 did not).

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008

Shimano rear shifters - Cheapest version with multi-release?

It was an xtr exclusive for 9 speed, xt, saint, xtr for 10 with a caveat: saint only has it on push&push, but not trigger. This is apparently on purpose as some DH guys like the precision of 1 at a time and shimano listened to their input. I am not sure about zee or the revised Slx, the 1st gen 10 speed didn't have it.The saint and xtr feel much less plasticky than xt. This doesn't mean xt is less durable, it's just the coating, all 3 have metal levers. There is much less difference in lever feel and action between the 3 than on 9 speed, where xtr was clearly on another level. Saint had slightly longer levers and more texture than xtr and weighs 10-15 grams more. Xt I believe is 35g more. I went with ispec saint after trying all 3.

The OP is asking about multi-release, which is an upshift (from larger cog to smaller cog/ higher gear) which I have only seen on XT, XTR and Saint. This is not the same feature that has been available for years on most models where 2 through in some case 4 shifts are available going from smaller to larger cogs. Also, 2-way has been on Deore since 2008/M530 and above, Zee, SLX, LX M580, and XT760 and above (I think I have that right, but don't know much about anything older, my M750 did not).
    ^^ This.

The release is the part where you click and it releases cable, which in the back for most traditional setups (not rapid rise), shifts to a smaller cog for a higher gear. I call shifting to higher speed gears as an upshift... not sure if there's confusion in the cycling community regarding shifting to larger rings, calling those upshifts or bigger gears or whatever.

The XT 780 doesn't do 4 downshifts, does it? I didn't check beyond 3 in one lever push when I demo'd it. I thought they were talking about how multi-release allowed you to shift to 4 higher gears with 2 thumb presses, where it would've normally taken 4 pushes. In maybe an extreme case, if you're running 1x10, you can shift 6 gears in 3 pushes, where it would've taken 6 pushes. 6 pushes, F that.

I went to a bike shop yesterday playing with rear shift levers. Couldn't find any but new XTs that have 'em, but didn't see any Zees. I kind of like the optical display too, as I have a habit of looking between my legs without it, indicating that I find such info valuable. Had some buddies run into issues with snapped cables at the rear derailleur, which I expect is from trying to shift to their lowest gear in the back for climbing, yet were already in it, and the tension put fatigue on the cable at that point. Indicator would've helped there! Hard to look between your legs at gears in the dark too. In a world where people prefer remotes for dropper posts, susp lock-outs, etc., I dunno why people wanna save a dozen grams on something that helps with shifting strategy.

I guess I'll go without it. That's a significant price jump to XT 780. Might be a short lived upgrade anyways, if XX1 style stuff trickles down any time soon.

The Original Suspect
    I agree with this. I have the m780 shifters (xt) and they do that. I also have the Alivio from 2011 not sure of the number and they don't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    The XT 780 doesn't do 4 downshifts, does it? I didn't check beyond 3 in one lever push when I demo'd it. I thought they were talking about how multi-release allowed you to shift to 4 higher gears with 2 thumb presses, where it would've normally taken 4 pushes. In maybe an extreme case, if you're running 1x10, you can shift 6 gears in 3 pushes, where it would've taken 6 pushes. 6 pushes, F that.
    Yes, my M780 will downshift (to larger cogs) 4 clicks, and upshift 2. I also have LX M580, odd in gears 9 - 5, it will do 4 gears, then 4 -1 only 3. However, neither may be realistic as you need some seriously long thumbs to do that while riding. To me it's a "stand feature".

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RSabarese again."

Thanks a ton for the credible info and your opinions! I'll be happy when that trickles down. $80 for a new M780 XT rear shifter is a lot.

I just bought a XTR RD used for $135, looking to run 1x10. Don't ask me why; I got curious about simpler, lighter, and quiet drivetrains with XX1 and wanted to try, I guess. I held a XT clutch RD and saw pics of the SLX and Zee RDs, and saw them for as low as $75, and the XT for as low as $105. Holding the XTR RD in my hands, it just exuded *AMAZOING* quality, and when I saw an eBay ad pop up for $125+SH buy it now and I just jumped on it. How the heck can SRAM say XO is on par with XTR? SRAM feels super cheap in comparison, though I do like the shifter lever feel. Replacing a XO RD on my Yeti and putting a SRAM X9 RD that I got on the cheap on my new 1x10 HT build, since I hear that they don't play well on FS designs. Basically looking for a cheap shifter lever to go with the XTR RD, since I'm kind of trying to figure the rest of the budget for a Niner Air 9 RDO, while keeping my Yeti. I guess I'll get a cheap Deore 10spd/Dynasys shifter for my Yeti, for now.

mtbr member
    Take a look at Jenson USA, they have OEM Shimano Shifters at really good prices. The XT's are gone, but older SLX and current Deore 10-Speed are very cheap.

mtbr member
    I happened to be in a Bike shop, "Vertical Earth" while on vacation in the Poconos and tested out a new SLX M670 shifter. It performs just like the M660, but has a mode selector for 2x/3x and the XT like upshift lever. So it looks like multishift remains starting on XT.

In case anyone asks, I did question the name of the shop which is identical to Blue Mountains Vertical Earth gravity park and the owner did build the trails, but sold out (not sre what that meant) and now just owns the shop. Nice folks...

Nashbar has the single XT 780 Shifter for $59. Lowest I found. They had a St Pat's day sale too, for 17% off entire orders too, which knocked $10 off the price, but SH is $10. Figured I'd post in case anyone else was interested and wanted to price match with some other dealer, like JensonUSA.

Wish I knew more about shifters, besides that they are just geared and pull specific amounts of cable and a significant part of the performance is in the cables and cable housing/lining. I was told part of the cost of retail XT shifters is the cable and housing that comes with it, which is made by Yokozuna and may retail for over $20 by itself. They say that less drag in cables helps make shifting fast, smooth, and precise. They also say that smooth cables in brakes helps create more power and more modulation--guess I'm spoiled by the age of hydraulic disc brakes, which have zero drag basically.

Thinking about shifting performance, I wonder if once Shimano hits M990, and/or rolls over to 4-digits, on XTR, if that's the starting point of the electronic [shift] revolution. Electronic buttons instead of levers maybe? Switches? Integrated in brake levers? Zero drag and near-instant shifting? Battery power for other stuff, like a motorized dropper post, electronic suspension valve control, etc.?