mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Shimano Rear Derailleur M390 v M410

What's the better component? The Acera M390 or the Alivio M410? I understand that Alivio is higher ranked than the Acera, but judging from looks, I think the M390 Acera is more beefy than the M410. I'm asking because I want a new rear derailleur for my Summit 2013.
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

As far as I am aware

Acera components are not rated for "MTB" use. They are only for light trail.

Alivio is the lowest spec for MTB. So it should be better than Acera.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I can understand that, but doesn't the model number tell you something? If you compare pics of them, you'd understand what I mean.

mtbr member
    The Acera M390 borrows looks from the Alivio M430 however it has cheaper pivots (assuming it's like the M360). I don't think there is too much pricing difference between the M390 & M430 (not the M410) you list. I have an M430 on a loaner bike, it's okay, not great and the chain does bounce around in the rough. If you have a few extra bucks, I'd look into the Deore Shadow M592 (not M593 10 speed). It will work with 7-9 speeds. It is crisper in shifting and holds chain tension quite a bit better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. One more question... will a M593 work with an 8 speed?

EDIT: Nevermind. It won't

mtbr member
    The M592 will, not the M593. 10 speed has a different cable pull ratio, more like SRAM 1:1 where as 7-9 speed use more of 2:1 (really 1.7:1). If it fits into the budget, the M592 is great. It is very similar to the SLX 9 speed M662 which is just a smidge lighter and more costly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply, and all I need is a new front derailleur... any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sure thing! On the front, you want to try and match that up to the crank. Typical 8-speeds used 22/32/42, 9-speed 22/32/44. I generally use the 9-speed like an Deore M590 9-speed for both (there is a 10-speed M590 so be on the lookout / same for XT level M770, both 9&10 were offered) , but I do find on an 8-speed something like the older Alivio M412 work pretty good. Being the 8-speed has a 42T, the cage is designed to sit slightly lower, so it shifts better than a 9 speed where the cage may be slightly higher than an 8-speed to clear a 44t big ring.

You also have to know does the cable pull from the top or the bottom? Newer Shimano's do both, and then do you need a top swing (the clamp is lower than the cage) or bottom swing (cage is lower than the clamp) as it can matter. Some frames can use either, some need a specific one. Lastly, the clamp size, most newer derailleurs have spacers to fit the seat tube, but not all, especially OEM may not come with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Uhhh, I have no idea about the cable pull direction... maybe if you can go here, and tell me something? sorry, complete noob xD
    2013 Bicycle Range - SUMMIT - Apollo Bikes

mtbr member
    No worries, that's how we learn...

From the picture/specs:
    -The crank has 42T n the big ring.
    -The cable pulls from the top of the derailleur (most Shimano's are dual pull anyhow)
    -The derailleur appears to be top swing, the clamp is down low on the seat tube and the cage is above the clamp.

This should work:
    Alivio M412 Multiclamp Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop BTW, I'm not sure if you are doing this all yourself, but you may need to break the chain to change the derailleurs. If you do, you may want to look into a KMC quicklink for 8-speed also on Jenson's site (9 or 10 speed won't work). Also, a chaintool needs to be used.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ahhh.. sweet. Never knew front derailleurs were that cheap. Anyway, the LBS let me keep an Acera M390 for a swap with the M360 for an extra $5 . I'm gonna start saving for the Deore now. Anyway, how much more do I need to pay for shipping, because I live in Australia?

P.S. The difference between the 390 and 360 is huge xD
    P.P.S. What's better? M390 or M410?
    Last edited by ~DisPosal~; 07-20-2013 at 02:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Glad to help. I don't know about the shipping, but you could add to cart and try it at Jenson, their site allows it without committing.
    I would think the M390 has gained all of the latest improvements and would be a "slight" upgrade from M410. I have installed the M410 on a friends bike and the M430 was a definite improvement in chain tension, hopefully the same for the M390. I have never seen an M390 in person though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for all the help mate. I have learned a crap load from you and am very grateful.
    Rep. Up for you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~DisPosal~ View Post
    ..snip... Anyway, how much more do I need to pay for shipping, because I live in Australia?..snip..
    I would buy from one of the major UK bike shops cheaper post to Aust than from the US. Post ranges from free to about $10 for a FD.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Can anyone tell me from the bike specs if it has a freehub or a free wheel? I paid around $500 so im not exactly sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Can anyone tell me from the bike specs if it has a freehub or a free wheel? I paid around $500 so im not exactly sure.
    If its 8 speed, it will be a free-hub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Shadow Plus (with clutch) SLX rear mech, used wtih XT shifters...Excellent Bang-For-Buck

mtbr member
    The specs say cassette from the link, so I'd say you have an 90% chance it's correct. They made freewheels up to 9-speed, although I've never seen one. If it is a freehub you can run 8-10 speed with no tricks or spacers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    The specs say cassette from the link, so I'd say you have an 90% chance it's correct. They made freewheels up to 9-speed, although I've never seen one. If it is a freehub you can run 8-10 speed with no tricks or spacers.
    Hmmm, I don't really understand. How can I check without taking the rear wheel off? BTW, it has a quick-release for both wheels, if that helps
    Last edited by ~DisPosal~; 07-23-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: forgot a word.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, I don't really understand. How can I check without taking the rear wheel off? BTW, it has a quick-release for both wheels, if that helps
    Taking a wheel off is really easy. Take the wheel off look at the end of the cassette.

Post a picture.
    More than likely it is a freehub.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Freewheel or Cassette?

As always THANKS Google.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Freewheel or Cassette?

As always THANKS Google.
    +1 xD

mtbr member
    An HG-30 is a cassette, do you see that written in white on it? Also, the end of the cassette has a splined endcap (not always, but Shimano does). Just like this photo from Sheldon Brown.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yep I do . Thanks for the help