mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Which Shimano Rear Derailleur

I bought a pair of XT 760STI Dual Control Shifters. Which model rear derailleur do I need to buy. I am coming from Sram stuff. I wanted to try the Dual control on a Jones H bar that I have.

...idios...
    You can use any Shimano rear derailleur with any Shimano shifter, so the choice is yours. The XT shifters will bring the most out of whichever deraiileur you hook them up to.
    XT level Shimano is great value gear; excellent performance and quality at pretty sensible prices.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    go with the xt shadow

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haystack Calhoun
    I bought a pair of XT 760STI Dual Control Shifters. Which model rear derailleur do I need to buy. I am coming from Sram stuff. I wanted to try the Dual control on a Jones H bar that I have.
    The derailleur model doesn't matter much, so long as it's 9-speed and Shimano. With those dual control shifters on an H-Bar, you'll probably be happier with a "low normal" or "rapid rise" type of derailleur in which the spring pulls the derailleur jockey wheels towards the lower gears. With this type of derailleur, when shifting to a higher gear, more effort is required to make the shift. You'll have to push the top of the brake lever down with your fingers. When you want to go to an easier gear (such as when climbing a hill), all you need to do is flick the lever up from the bottom. The latter is much easier to do than the former and is particularly nice when you're hit a climb and you find yourself in too hard a gear. Just flick your wrist a few times and, voila, you're in the right gear!

FWIW, I've recently set up two of my bikes with dual control shifters on Titec H-Bars and am really lovin' it. You get several useful hand positions along the bottom part of the H, to just above the crossbar. The shifters and brakes are accessible from all of these hand positions. I'm using some Ergon grips on the bottom parts of the H and bar tape along the crossbar, at the crossbar intersections, and a short way up the upper parts of the H.