mtbr member
    May 2013

Shimano R shifter cable removal help

I am looking to replace my cables on my bike with Shimano Dura Ace 7800 shifters. The L shifter cable came out nicely however the R cable is somehow wrapped inside of the shifter. I tried using thin pliers but it didn't budge. I don't believe it can be disassembled. Any ideas on getting it out? Thanks.

Shimano R shifter cable removal help-o1.jpegShimano R shifter cable removal help-o2.jpeg

I tried shifting all the way down. Now it's simply stuck and doesn't shift either way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I had problems with this on my Ultegra 6600 shifters. If you pull the brake lever back a little, (like you're doing in those photos) then click the inner shifter lever, you should see the end of the cable rotate into view inside that round circular hole above the "ACE" in DURA-ACE.

It didn't seem to work for me when I just tried to work the inner shifter. When I tried it with the brake lever pulled back, it finally rotated into view and I was able to push the cable out the side of the lever.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by authalic View Post
    I had problems with this on my Ultegra 6600 shifters. If you pull the brake lever back a little, (like you're doing in those photos) then click the inner shifter lever, you should see the end of the cable rotate into view inside that round circular hole above the "ACE" in DURA-ACE.

It didn't seem to work for me when I just tried to work the inner shifter. When I tried it with the brake lever pulled back, it finally rotated into view and I was able to push the cable out the side of the lever.
    I am pressing on to the inner black shifter lever with no success. It doesn't budge. It only works a few clicks of the outer lever when I push the cable further in (instead of pulling out) and then same number of clicks back to the original position. The end of the cable isn't in sight from the round circular hole. I even tried to pull the cable from the hole with alligator pliers but it won't move.

Any idea of a ballpark price a LBS would charge to help me get it out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm not sure what would cause the shifter to stick. It might be a dumb question, but is the cable still attached at the derailleur? It took me about 20 minutes to figure it out the first time, but I think an experienced mechanic could probably do it while you're standing there.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by authalic View Post
    I'm not sure what would cause the shifter to stick. It might be a dumb question, but is the cable still attached at the derailleur? It took me about 20 minutes to figure it out the first time, but I think an experienced mechanic could probably do it while you're standing there.
    It's not attached on the rear derailleur. I believe I had made the mistake of not shifting all the way down to the big cog in the back (to release all the wire inside the shifter) before I cut off the cable. I've been fidgeting with if forever now and still no progress. When you press on the shifters, it seems like it doesn't to move the cable.