mtbr member
    May 2013

Shimano problems

I just squirted chain lube on the rear mech of the Shimano Acera. Now it won’t stay in the low gears, but gradually makes its way through the gears to 7th gear without any action on my part. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok, when it goes to 7th gear, will the shift lever return it to 1st?

If so, I'm guessing you have a shifter problem that occurred either by coincidence or because the cleaned and lubed rear derailleur is allowing the spring to pull harder on the cable, causing the shifter to slip.

Try removing the cover from the shifter and cleaning it. I use aerosol Dupont Chainsaver lube from WalMart for this sort of thing.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Shifter

Sure, it returns to 1st gear OK, I just have to hold it in place to prevent it returning down the scale. It's one of those dreadful twist gear changes on the handle bar, which probably doesn't help.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Ok, when it goes to 7th gear, will the shift lever return it to 1st?

If so, I'm guessing you have a shifter problem that occurred either by coincidence or because the cleaned and lubed rear derailleur is allowing the spring to pull harder on the cable, causing the shifter to slip.

Try removing the cover from the shifter and cleaning it. I use aerosol Dupont Chainsaver lube from WalMart for this sort of thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, I have an old bike with SRAM twist-grip shifters. There is a flat spring with a V in the middle that is supposed to click into a notch on a disc and hold it in place. The spring gets weak or the notches wear. It could be dirt interfering too. Nothing to lose by taking it apart and cleaning it or trying to bend the spring a little.

Or order this

Shimano Acera SL-M310 Rapid Fire Shifter, Right (Black, 7-Speed) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

Shimano SL-M310 Acera Shifter Right (8 Speed) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

I don't know that much about it -- someone else can confirm -- any Shimano shifter with the correct number of gear settings should work so long as it is not DynaSys.