mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shimano pin in SRAM chain?

I know that you can use a SRAM Powerlink on a Shimano chain, but can you use a Shimano pin on a SRAM chain? In the process of sizing my SRAM-68 chain, I misjudged the proper length with the Powerlink and have a chain that ideally is one link too short. I could put on a second power link to accomodate the difference, but I'm guessing this isn't the best solution.

So, could I simply use a shimano pin to add an extra link to my SRAM chain? Any durability/compatability concerns with this proposal? Thanks in advance...

ballbuster

My guess is no

Quote Originally Posted by baumer
    I know that you can use a SRAM Powerlink on a Shimano chain, but can you use a Shimano pin on a SRAM chain? In the process of sizing my SRAM-68 chain, I misjudged the proper length with the Powerlink and have a chain that ideally is one link too short. I could put on a second power link to accomodate the difference, but I'm guessing this isn't the best solution.

So, could I simply use a shimano pin to add an extra link to my SRAM chain? Any durability/compatability concerns with this proposal? Thanks in advance...
    The Sh¡mano link pins depend on an exact fit into the plates. Since you are no longer using Sh¡mano plates, who knows if the fit is exactly right. A better solution is another Powerlink. I got two on my SS bike so I can change gear ratios. No biggie, the Powerlinks are pretty dang strong.

Chrome Toaster
    I have never tried it but my educated guess is no. At least I wouldn't recommend it. The shimano pin has a groove on each end specifically designed to fit the exact thickness of the shimano plates. Sram plates are slightly thicker and will likely not snap into place. I don't think the Sram pins are hammered or "mushroomed" at the ends so you should be able to do it the old fashioned way and push out a pin off one plate, attach the new segment and push the pin back in.

willtsmith_nwi

Double your powerlinks ...

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    The Sh¡mano link pins depend on an exact fit into the plates. Since you are no longer using Sh¡mano plates, who knows if the fit is exactly right. A better solution is another Powerlink. I got two on my SS bike so I can change gear ratios. No biggie, the Powerlinks are pretty dang strong.
    I'll echo the sentiment. Chains just aren't worth messing with when there Powerlinks to be had cheaply. Buy TWO extra powerlinks. One for your extra chain and one in case of a chain failure.

I had a medium cage derailleur that simply would not hold the difference between 22-44T rings and a 34T cassette. So I cut an extra length of chain. When I went riding on the road, I would simply powerlink that section in (sacrificing the granny in favor of the big ring).

AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    I have a few links of a SRAM PC-59 chain around here if it helps...
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

for all the suggestions. Sounds like I'll just run two Powerlinks for the time being and try to get the length right the next time I replace my chain...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baumer
    for all the suggestions. Sounds like I'll just run two Powerlinks for the time being and try to get the length right the next time I replace my chain...
    Buy a wippermann connex link as well as a powerlink, then it's a piece of cake to pull the chain off to get it extra clean. I've never been able to get a powerlink off after a ride or two. FYI, I almost exclusively use PC99 chains and connex links now with no problems (just make sure the link is setup like pictured when passing through rear triangle otherwise you'll get a clicking sound).