mtbr member
    May 2006

shimano pedal (PDM-520) tension adjuster nut burred

Hey fellas

Got a set of PDM-520 pedals that I am putting on a bike I am building. They have been used for about 4,000kms (so they are well used in other words - but have got plenty of life left). Was tightening up the tension adjuster, and quick as a flash, the allen key ripped out. I am left with a burred adjustment bolt.

I have tried an imperial allen key (which was slightly larger), and that was no good either. I just want to increase the tension. It is wound all the way out so I could remove the plastic platforms that were originally on the pedals. Now one side of the pedal won't let me clip in cuz its so loose.

Any advice on increasing the tension? I have since given it a good dose of WD40 to remove some of the rust and crap that has built up.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Take a dremel and cut a slot in the screw and use a flat screw driver to turn it. Just work your way from the inside of the screw - out

You can fill up the hole with JB weld with the allen key in the screw. Then let it dry and turn the screw.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Never thought of the dremel idea (thoughts are a rare thing when you are building a bike at midnight). Yet another use for the dremel - thanks for that.

Does the JB weld stuff come out? Or will there be a lump of resin or gunk stuck in the hole?

mtbr member
    Well if you leave the allen key in there to dry up with the JB weld, wyou will be able to snap it of and you will have an impression of the allen key in the screw. Should be enough to let you tighten or unscrew it.

The dremel is a better way to do it.