trainwreck

Shimano M960 Rapid rise rear derailleur installation guide??

So i just got myself a Shimano M960 rapid rise rear derailleur and i keep reading all this stuff about how i probably should find an installation guide for it but i cant find it anywhere Does anyone know where to find one on the net that i can download?
    Is the installation process that much different than a normal rise derailleur?
    Also does anyone know if the Shimano XT M760 Shifters will work well with the M960 rapid rise derailleur.
    Pain is Weakness leaving the body

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sure, the M760 shifters will work. The M960 is no different to install compared to any other rapid rise derailleurs. Just make sure you clamp the wire on the correct side of the clamping bolt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Parktool has a good guide with directions for rapid rise: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

edited for my goof.
    Last edited by rlouder; 08-08-2010 at 05:32 AM.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder
    It's basically the same as a high-normal der. The exception is that you put the shifter in 1 instead of 9 (or 8) before attaching the cable.

Parktool has a good guide with directions for rapid rise: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64
    No, you don't.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    No, you don't.
    You're right. The indicator works in the opposite direction from a high normal. Since I use the rr, I consider the other side of the indicator (normally 9) to be 1.
    Last edited by rlouder; 08-08-2010 at 05:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Having used RR derailleurs since '98, I can tell you once you get used to the direction of the shifting, you'll love it.

Follow those Park directions and you should be good, just make sure your derailleur pulleys are lined up opposite of a regular rear derailleur, dead center on the low gear and just to the outside on the high.

trainwreck
    Cool thanks you guys for you fast responses i would of been lost trying to install it on my own without asking for advice!
    Pain is Weakness leaving the body

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder
    You're right. The indicator works in the opposite direction from a high normal. Since I use the rr, I consider the other side of the indicator (normally 9) to be 1.
    haha, yeah - I use a low-normal as well - I stopped payin attention to #'s years ago - just set the shifter in the 'unsprung position' and go from there as normal
    Honestly... ahh I give up

ups and downs
    You mean this installation guide?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada