mtbr member

Shimano M951 Octalink XTR Crank?

First, I apologize for the noob post. My drivetrain "who's who" knowledge isn't too thorough just yet.

Anyway, came across this crank(just arms and BB) on CL for $60... what can you tell me about it? Good price? I know XTR is upper level stuff, but I think the 950's is a little older?

I'm about to go from 3x9 to 1x9 and figured I'd upgrade the associated parts while I'm there(currently Alivio crank). Planning to go 32t and run a BBG bashwich. All possible with that crank?

Thanks in advance.

the catalan connection
    I have those cranks. The large chainring was also the spider that attached to the crankarm and the other two rings went bolted to it. You´ll either need one of those rings (not smaller than 44T I think, with odd BCDs, and probably expensive and hard to find) or get a Middleburn spider which has a standard BCD and fit any ring you want. Also, BB´s are not easy to find and way too expensive compared to nowadays outboard BB replacements. All in all, a not really smart setup if you ask me. You really have to LOVE those crankarms to go that route.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano M951 Octalink XTR Crank?-imag0297.jpg  

Last edited by What&son; 04-19-2013 at 03:16 AM. Reason: added pic
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son View Post
    I have those cranks. The large chainring was also the spider that attached to the crankarm and the other two rings went bolted to it. You´ll either need one of those rings (not smaller than 44T I think, with odd BCDs, and probably expensive and hard to find) or get a Middleburn spider which has a standard BCD and fit any ring you want. Also, BB´s are not easy to find and way too expensive compared to nowadays outboard BB replacements. All in all, a not really smart setup if you ask me. You really have to LOVE those crankarms to go that route.
    Agreed. I finally had to give-up on my 951/952 cranks. I loved them. But finding BBs and even rings proved too difficult and expensive.

Caveat: The 951 (not 952) bottom brackets with needle bearings were virtually indestructible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Re: Shimano M951 Octalink XTR Crank?

Does anybody know where to find new crank arm bolts that attach the arms to the bb. I'm powdercoating my crank arms and want to put new bolts in when finished.I've searched the entire intergooglewebz with no luck

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Shimano made two different types of bottom brackets which will fit those cranks. One was a traditional ball bearing unit, while the other had needle bearings. If you have the needle bearing bottom bracket, you have a real find (which I think was the 951). The one I had lasted at least two years of hardcore riding. They are easy to service. Moreover, you can change-out the spider on that crank to get more traditional chain rings.

psycho cyclo addict
    I'm running 180mm XTR 952 cranks with the hard to find XT 4-bolt 104 BCD spider (that replaces the integrated rings typically found on 950/952 setups) with a 36t MRP chain ring on my single speed 29er. They are attached to a used 952 Octalink BB. Got almost 1200 miles on this setup and it's been great.