mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Shimano M8000 rear der clutch lever snapped off

Ok I'm rather pissed.

Just got back from a ride, washed the bike and I notice that the clutch lever (that grey plastic thingy) has snapped right off my derailler.

How is that even possible?!?!?! I did not take a fall, the derailler itself as well as the bike is in pristine condition in that area and now I can't seem to turn the clutch off! It's broken off so close to the base that I can't put enough leverage on it to move the remaining part of the lever.

So annoyed. Perfectly working brand new derailler...

Anyone know if I can get that repaired or do I have to buy a whole new freaking derailler?

If I need to take my wheel off, can I do that with the clutch ON as it's just stuck there now?

damned rocks...
    Yes you can buy a new lever, google for Y5RT98030 that's the reference number of the lever.
    And yes you can take off the wheel, you just need to do more force to move the derailleur out of the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    Yes you can buy a new lever, google for Y5RT98030 that's the reference number of the lever.
    And yes you can take off the wheel, you just need to do more force to move the derailleur out of the way.
    Oh wow you're a life saver! Thank you so much!

Any idea about how you go about installing this?

damned rocks...
    I'm guessing you have to open the cover that protects the clutch mechanism, pull the fixing plate, pull the broken lever, install the new lever, reinstall the fixing plate and you are good to go 😀.
    Google for EV-RD-M8000-3859A.pdf and you will know what I talking about.
    Can't be of more help because I have never needed to do this, but should be straight forward, me thinks 😅.

damned rocks...
    Ok, out of curiosity I went and did it 😅😅.
    But it really is that easy. It's easier if you turn the clutch on, push the fixing plate, turn the clutch off and pull out the fixing plate that is now easily visible and accessible, then pull or push the lever, be careful to not lose parts, insert the new lever and finally insert de fixing plate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ok, out of curiosity I went and did it 😅😅.
    But it really is that easy. It's easier if you turn the clutch on, push the fixing plate, turn the clutch off and pull out the fixing plate that is now easily visible and accessible, then pull or push the lever, be careful to not lose parts, insert the new lever and finally insert de fixing plate.
    Thanks for that. I need to come up with a way to somehow grab the remaining part of the lever and turn it off as there's not much of it left.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I could not find a UK website that has the part in stock but I did phone up a shimano service center in a nearby city and they said they will have some in stock beginning of October.

I am planning to buy one (Costs £4) and try to install it myself. Hopefully it's not super complicated and I manage to turn the current broken one off with the derailler off the bike...

damned rocks...
    If you don't want to wait you can order it from Germany, it's 3.5€ plus 4,90€ for shipping.
    SHIMANO spare part Y-5RT98030, SCHALTHEBEL-EINHEIT MIT SCHRAUBE RD-M8

good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you don't want to wait you can order it from Germany, it's 3.5€ plus 4,90€ for shipping.
    SHIMANO spare part Y-5RT98030, SCHALTHEBEL-EINHEIT MIT SCHRAUBE RD-M8

good luck
    Just received the part today - took a while...

I'm going to try and fix this tonight and if I fail miserably I'll ask you for help!

The only thing that I'm worried about by just looking at it is how easy it's going to be to pull the old lever shaft out of the derailleur. It looks like the cage might be in it's way? I would hate to have to remove the cage to do this...

damned rocks...
    You can force the cage out off the way and then tie it in that position.
    You can also "open" the dirrailleur and tie it to some wood stick.
    Or you can just remove the cage 😀. It's really not that hard. Like, three weeks ago I saw a video doing that and I think it was a M8000, but can't find it now :/.

You just need to be carefull with the clutch mechanist when you remove the broken lever, some parts will have nothing holding them, so be carefull, try to work over some white cloth or something similar.
    Also, I think it's better if you work with the dirrailleur on a horizontal position, for the same reason.

Feel free to ask anything.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Doesn't the m9000 use an alloy lever? If so, can the m9000 lever be used on the m8000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    Doesn't the m9000 use an alloy lever? If so, can the m9000 lever be used on the m8000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a good question and it did cross my mind as well. However I was not sure about compatibility so I didn't go for it.

The main question here is how on earth do they break in the first place?!?! No impact, no fall nothing that I realized at least. Literally had a ride (rather muddy but nothing super gnarly), came home, washed the bike and found out the lever was broken!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just fixed it. It literally took 5 minutes and I didn't even take the derailleur off the bike.

A tip for anyone that might try to do this in the future:

Have the clutch in the ON position, unscrew the cap and then all the parts of the clutch mechanism are under tension so they are 'bonded' together. At that point you can just slide the whole clutch mechanism off without anything falling off! You literally just gently pull it outwards and it slides off the 2 axles that are holding it.

At this point turn the lever to the off position as it now won't have any tension and it should be easy. That reveals the C pin that holds the lever in place. Undo that and then pull the lever out from the back side while holding the cage up with your other hand.

Now reverse the process: Put new lever in, clip the C pin in place, turn the lever to the ON position, slide the clutch mech back on to the 2 axles, replace the cap making sure the rubber band that seals it is in the appropriate groove and screw it on.

Take this opportunity to adjust your clutch tension to your liking by using the little hex bolt under the rubber cap.

Done.

I'm glad I didn't send my whole derailleur off to a service center for this!

All seems to be fine. ON and OFF work fine.

Just one thing that I can't remember. The lever is not exactly 'solid' on there. There's a bit of play in it. It still turns on and off fine and you can feel when the clutch engages but if you wiggle it with your finger there's a slight amount of play. Is that how it is normally?

damned rocks...
    Yes it's normal, don't forget that the lever is only hold in place by the fixing plate, that C thing, that is there just to prevent the lever to come out. So some play is expected.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Aglo thank you so much for helping me through this mate. I really appreciate it!

I love the satisfaction of fixing this myself and also now that I opened it up I completely understand how the whole clutch system works!

damned rocks...
    No worries, it was a good excuse for me to dismantle my clutch .

Regarding the M9000 lever, the Shimano techdocs have them listed as not interchangeable.
    Most of the mechanism is the exact same between the M9000, the M8000 and the M7000. The lever in the M9000, not so much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The m9000 lever is plastic, mine broke and it's just painted to look anodized. (Earlier question)
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd