mtbr member

Shimano M780 shifter covers?

So, I bought a set of these:

Shimano M780 shifter covers?-shimano-xt-sl-m780-2or3x10-shifter-set-black.jpg

That goofy indicator bar has to go, especially on the left side. Apparently, there's no replacement cover under the indicator anymore and I haven't been able to find a replacement cover. Anywhere online where I can get one? Google has been no help. Am I just going to have to Dremel it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    So, I bought a set of these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shimano-XT-SL-M780-2or3x10-Shifter-Set-Black.jpg 
Views:	2069 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	794971

That goofy indicator bar has to go, especially on the left side. Apparently, there's no replacement cover under the indicator anymore and I haven't been able to find a replacement cover. Anywhere online where I can get one? Google has been no help. Am I just going to have to Dremel it?
    Shoulda gone with the SLX, they have the altnernate cover included with them under the indicator. I would think the SLX cover would fit, maybe you can find one of those??

mtbr member
    Looks like you can still remove the indicators. Maybe cover them up with some gorilla tape? Or electrical tape?

mtbr member
    SLX shifters are a completely different shape.

Apparently, standard replacement covers just do not exist. Oh well, I guess the offending part will just have to get cut off. It's a shame Shimano went cheap and didn't include covers like in the last one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    20 Euro to ship a pair of 2 Euro parts to America. LULZ. This has really gotten comical.

I just cut the offending part off. My dropper remote fits in there fine and I'm just gonna fill in the hole with a dab of JB Weld to seal out the dirt and water. Looks kinda janky, but whatever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am in the same boat as you... Just got off the phone with Shimano said they are currently out of them. Was told the part #'s are as follows: Right Y6UU98090 base cap and Left: Y6UV98080 . I've called a bunch of shops here in the US and nobody has them. They seem to be readly available in Europe. Does anybody have a clue to where we can purchase / get some in the US ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    In case anyone else is interested, Shimano's site lists the exploded view for SL-M780 shifter which confirms there is a separate cover.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830820616.pdf

From personal experience it is difficult to obtain small Shimano parts. Tried ordering only a Left/Right? external bottom bracket since they are theoretically available separately, but ended up buying an entire BB.