mtbr member

New question here. Shimano m770 vs. SRAM X7 3x10 or 3x9 Crankset?

I have more than one question:

Which would you choose and why? Is one any better than the other under certain conditions or just in general.

I have a 3x9 setup is it OK to run a 3x10 crankset with this or do I need to stick with 3x9 (well, 3x8/9 actually)?
    Last edited by skullcap; 02-06-2013 at 07:22 AM.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would go with Shimano as it is much easier to install and maintain and I've never heard anyone complaining about the crank getting loose. Shimanos's middle ring is composite with steel teeth, instead of aluminum what should increase its durability.

I don't have first hand experience with it, but it seems that the ring spacing in a Shimano 3x10 setup is a little narrower and for better results a 3x10 front derailleur is advisable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leopafe View Post
    I would go with Shimano as it is much easier to install and maintain and I've never heard anyone complaining about the crank getting loose. Shimanos's middle ring is composite with steel teeth, instead of aluminum what should increase its durability.

I don't have first hand experience with it, but it seems that the ring spacing in a Shimano 3x10 setup is a little narrower and for better results a 3x10 front derailleur is advisable.

Hmmm...that makes perfect sense but I hadn't thought of it, thanks. And that middle ring durability is going to be a significant factor considering that's the one I use the most. The X7 claims to shift faster though. Not sure which is more important. I mean, that's why I'm upgrading, to get faster shifting. Any thoughts?

King of Middle Earth
    You'll be fine with either choice. Go price shopping. Which ever you can get for a better price wins!
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

Ride More, Whine Less
    Both are excellent. If you are doing a conversion, I would choose the one that required the least number of additional parts for the conversion (bottom bracket, rear hub/wheel dishing, etc). If I were building new and needed to make the choice, I would pick SRAM for superficial reasons: I like the dual push of the shifters (instead of the push/pull of shimano) and the colors and design look more modern with SRAM.

When I bought my last bike, I had a decision of 3x9 or 3x10. I went with 3x9 to have lower cost of ownership. The 10sp replacement stuff was something like 2x the cost of the 9sp counterparts. I think this gap has narrowed in the last 2 years, but it might still be worth looking into.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    You'll be fine with either choice. Go price shopping. Which ever you can get for a better price wins!

Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Both are excellent. If you are doing a conversion, I would choose the one that required the least number of additional parts for the conversion (bottom bracket, rear hub/wheel dishing, etc). If I were building new and needed to make the choice, I would pick SRAM for superficial reasons: I like the dual push of the shifters (instead of the push/pull of shimano) and the colors and design look more modern with SRAM.

When I bought my last bike, I had a decision of 3x9 or 3x10. I went with 3x9 to have lower cost of ownership. The 10sp replacement stuff was something like 2x the cost of the 9sp counterparts. I think this gap has narrowed in the last 2 years, but it might still be worth looking into.

Yeah, I've got the SRAM x7 shifters and rear derailleur and I love them. I have the Shimano front derailleur simply because the SRAM wouldn't fit (29er). I'm liking it just fine, too but it doesn't play particularly nicely with my 3x8 crankset. I think I'm probably going to get the Shimano crankset. It's more expensive by about $75 but it is going to be more durable and I already have the bb tool from the (also Shimano) cassette install. (Edit=I shouldn't be allowed to post before I've had my full measure of coffee for the day, that's a lockring+rotor tool and has nothing to do with bottom brackets. They both install with the same tool which I'll have to buy either way.) FWIW they both come with the bottom bracket.

I also chose 9 speed over 10 for lower cost of ownership, not just cheaper to buy but I also think they wear better. It's really a shame they're phasing the 9s out and it's making it difficult to find the stuff. On the other hand, I've gotten some of it at dealer cost because it's being clearanced. I asked about the 10 speed because I found it at a killer price and because it'll probably be a lot easier to find replacement parts, but apparently it wouldn't play nice with all the 9 spd stuff I just installed.

The full story: An evil stick lay in wait partially buried in leaves and pine straw and jumped up and ripped off my rear (8 speed) derailleur as I rode past. It didn't know it actually did me a favor, I couldn't get a replacement above an X4 so....UPGRADE TIME. Yay! What a fun happy time it has been so far. I'm looking forward to replacing the crankset, I've never done that before so it should be quite interesting. I may have more questions.
    Last edited by skullcap; 02-07-2013 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    So, I thought I would follow up on this. I ended up going with the Shimano XT 3x9 22-32-44 crankset. This was a super easy install. The pinkbike video and Park Tool article were extremely helpful and I think it helped a lot that I had the bottom bracket shell tapped and faced before hand.

Anyway, the cranks are super stiff, it spins very smoothly and with the XT derailleur it shifts smoothly, instantly, and absolutely silently.

Thanks again for the help guys!