Elitest thrill junkie

Shimano M545 pedal/cage interface rebuild

The only problem I've ever had with these pedals is that after a while the cage gets loose because the pedal/cage interface wears out. There's a small screw that threads into the end-cap assembly, this loosens and eventually the threads get all screwed up, then the cage gets really loose. I have 2 complete sets of 545s, one is over 4 years old. Unfortunately, way back in the day I had another set and I threw them away after this aspect appeared to have failed, but if I didn't I could have 3 functional sets.

Anyways, here are the parts. New parts on the bottom left: cap, plastic bushing, screw, spring. I don't recall what the part # is right now for the end-cap assembly, but it is shown on the pedal-diagram on Shimano's website, so it's relatively easy to find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano M545 pedal/cage interface rebuild-bw-001.jpg  

"It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I suggest lock-tighting the screw, it is what eventually came loose in the fist place.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Dissasemble the pedal first. This isn't too difficult. Grasp the pedal cage (shown in later step) and use an adjustable wrench on the flats provided on the spindle (not the flats used to install/remove the pedal) to take the spindle out of the pedal mechanism. You might have to stick a phillips screwdriver into the mechanism to loosen the screw (the screw that is to be replaced), but if you're doing this repair for the same reason as I, it will probably fall apart when you do the first step.

Next, line up spring in the hole, then get the spring into the detent on the left side (I used a flat-head screwdriver to coerce the spring into the slot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano M545 pedal/cage interface rebuild-bw-003.jpg  

Shimano M545 pedal/cage interface rebuild-bw-005.jpg  

Shimano M545 pedal/cage interface rebuild-bw-006.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Then use a phillips screwdriver, the screw that came with the kit, and insert it into the pedal mechanism, you have to kind of hold the entire thing together untill you get it in there a bit. Grasp the pedal body with your other hand to brace againt something to tighten it. Get it nice and tight (also what the locktite is for).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano M545 pedal/cage interface rebuild-bw-008.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Then screw the spindle back into the mechanism and cage. Hold the pedal body with one hand and use an adjustable flat wrench in the other hand to tighten it into the body.

Done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano M545 pedal/cage interface rebuild-bw-009.jpg  

Shimano M545 pedal/cage interface rebuild-bw-010.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Where did you get the new parts and how much did they cost?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks to the bump, I discovered these instructions, and I think it should be really helpful! I have the same problem with loose cages.

Are there other things one can to do keep these pedals in shape? I do most of the maintenance on my bike and used to overhaul pedals back in the day when they used loose ball bearings and were simpler, but I've mostly ignored my SPDs. A testament to their durability, I guess, but I would take better care of them if I knew how! Any tips?