mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shimano m530 cranks, older XT?

I was shopping for rings for my first generation hollowtech XT cranks when I saw these m530 cranks. Though badged Deore, they look to me to be the XTs that directly preceded the present external bottom bracket iteration. Can anyone back me up?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Another question..

I run an ES51 BB with my present cranks. On Jenson, the BB for these cranks is listed as ES51 V2. What's the difference between ES51 and ES51 V2? Would these cranks work with my BB?

Each year there's a trickle down with Shimano. The M530 isn't XT afaik, but I couldn't tell you the difference either. The ES51 is a V2 version of Octalink, here's some info from Sheldon Brown about the Shimano systems http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#shimano
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was mistaken. I'm running an ES70 BB right now, which Sheldon Brown lists as a V2 octalink bb. So it will work with the m530 cranks. Which, btw, come in near the weight of the present LX once you throw in the BB weight. I guess these cranks are an amalgam of the all that Hollowtech stuff that was considered top flight right before the external bottom bracket thing happened.

mtbr member
    The Deore component group is two down from XT...
    XT should be lighter,stronger etc.
    Get over it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    The Deore component group is two down from XT...
    XT should be lighter,stronger etc.
    I know that's the official parts taxonomy from Shimano. Actually, the only constant I can find is that XT means more expensive, not necessarily better performing. We're talking a weight difference of 1.4 oz, 40gm, for crank and BB all together between this Deore set and the present XT. Price difference of about $166. That's $118.57 an ounce. Add in some ambivalence about bearing drag with external bbs in relation to cartridge bbs, and the Deore setup here starts to look pretty enticing, in my opinion. Especially since it costs about the same as replacing the rings on my four year old cranks.